This page is a part of the Bowie County TXGenWeb project and all of the information
here is FREE for you to use. If you are being
charged to view/use any of this information, please contact Elaine.
The Bowie County Citizens Tribune
Written permission given by the New Boston Genealogy Society
to post this information to the Bowie County TXGenWeb site.
Luke Medford and Julia Cruce were two children of eight born to William Medford, 1772-1842, born in County Antrim, Ireland, died in Lumpkin County, Georgia, and Matilda (O') Dempsey, 1772-1846, born in Halifax County, North Carolina, died in Lumpkin County, Georgia. Their first five children were born in Spartanburg, South Carolina. The last three were born in Gwinnett County, Georgia.
Luke Rupert Medford enlisted in the Confederacy in November, 1862. He was Fifth Sergeant in the Second Battalion of the Alabama Calvary, later Company H of the Seventh Alabama Calvary. Many of his relatives served in this war and when it was over they found that their homes had been destroyed as well. Luck was wounded in the shoulder during the Battle at Peach Tree Creek in 1864 and a Mini ball remained in his shoulder the rest of his life.
Luke Medford, 1824-1895, married Nancy Garrett, 1832-1867, in 1849
in Cherokee County, Georgia. Nancy was the daughter of William
and Mary Garrett. They had a large tract of land in Cherokee
County, Alabama on the Coosa River. Luke Medford was hired to
be an overseer on the Garrett plantation in 1848. They had seven
The mother of these children, Nancy Garrett Medford, died when Benjamin
Wheeler was just a baby. Luke Medford traveled from Marshall
County, Alabama back to Cherokee County, Georgia where four of his
brothers lived. There he met a childhood friend, Louise Tedder
Arwood who had lost her husband, E Laval Arwood, in the war.
Louise had two sons, two nephews, and two Negro boys that she had
raised from infancy. Luke and Louise Arwood Medford had nine
Parker Medford and his younger brother, Benjamin Wheeler Medford established Medford Brothers Store in Lydia sometime before September 1900. Parker moved a few miles north to Avery and established a new store, P J Medford and Son (Brose) in 1908. The building burned down in 1926 and was rebuilt on the same site where it remains today.
© 2004 - 2009 Elaine Martin