This page is a part of the Bowie County TXGenWeb project and all of the information
here is FREE for you to use. If you are being
charged to view/use any of this information, please contact Elaine.
John "Jack" W Whitecotton Family
By Frances Fox
Taken from Ye Olde Ancestors, August 15, 1991
Written permission given by the New Boston Genealogy Society
to post this information to the Bowie County TXGenWeb site.
Jack Whitecotton also had a sister, Louisa Safrona "Fronie" Whitecotton, who married James Robert Williams and lived in Dalby Springs and raised five children there. They eventually moved to Idabel, Oklahoma where their son, Dr Robert Dee Williams, practiced medicine for more than 50 years.
Matilda Lewis Whitecotton had a brother, Samuel Joseph "Tip" Lewis born in Alabama in 1854, who came to texas and later to Idabel, Oklahoma that married Ada Fulghum in Dalby Springs. I'm sure there may have been other members of both families that came here too.
There are quite a few stories about Jack Whitecotton, so he must have been a very active person. One story is that he and two other men almost froze to death when they were thrown out of their boat on the Sulphur River during a flood. They were trying to check on their cows. A Negro man named Tol Rutherford rescued them in a flat boat, one at a time. He must have been an extremely strong man since they were one-half mile from the shore.
Jack Whitecotton loved to play croquet. He played croquet with L C Pirkey, H A Parker and J D Locke. They spent many hours playing the game after laying by their crops.
Charles "Charley" Whitecotton was one of several young men that were engaged to clear the right-of-way for a railroad from Dalby Springs to Finley Switch on the Cotton Belt Railroad, a distance of about ten miles, through a dense hard-wood forest. They were promised wages of $1.00 a day and jobs with the railroad. After working several weeks they were paid with checks by the gentleman that hired them. This stranger then left town and was never seen again, and their checks bounced.
The only church in Dalby Springs was the Methodist Church built between 1855 and 1890. Jack Whitecotton donated land for that church. He served in Company D, 23rd Texas Calvary from about April 1862 until 1865 in Texas and Louisiana. His application for Confederate Pension was signed by John E Proctor and W P Alexander. They both stated that they had known him since 1858. The papers were dated 1906.
© 2004 - 2009 Elaine Martin