The Old Salem Community
By Frances Fox
Taken from Ye Olde Ancestors, June 6, 1991
Written permission given by the New Boston Genealogy Society
to post this information to the Bowie County TXGenWeb site.
Early family names of Old Salem included Winberly, Wright, Terrell, Ownes, Askew, Sturgeon, Walker, McCright, Marbut, Hamby, Garrett, Hillis, Hanna, Williams, Jones, Thomas and Vaughn.
Isaac Houston Hillis in 1903, began the second Sunday in June Homecoming. Donations are received this day to pay for upkeep of the cemetery. Mr Hillis Promised his wife that this event would pay for the grave care of a child they had just lost. The cemetgery how has over five hundred graves. All residents, former residents, kinfolks, and friends are invited to this annual event. Bring your lunch, spread it with us and have a great time visiting this Sunday.
Pine Lake School, built in 1890 and Friendship Schook were consolidated in 1912. The new school became Old Salem School District #31. In 1938, Old Salem was consolidated into James Bowie School District.
The first church services were held in Pine Lake School for about twelve years. In 1902 a church building was built in the cemetery by the grave of Mrs Hannah Jones. In 1918 a new church was built across the road.
© 2010 Jason Smith
© 2004 - 2009 Elaine Martin