The Confederate Memorial Monument
The Confederate Memorial Monument at Fifth and State Line Avenue is near the main Post Office Building in the triangle bounded by State Line Avenue and Olive Street (Confederate Park).The Monument is one of the beautiful things that Texarkana has inherited from citizens now gone.
During the 40th anniversary of the founding of Texarkana (1913), it was suggested and decided that the growing city should have a monument to the many citizens from the area who had served in the War Between The States, (Civil War).
The ground on which the monument is erected was purchased from the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas by Captain James Thomas Roseborough, and deeded to the city. Captain Roseborough had come to Bowie County, Texas, from Ridgeway, South Carolina, when a boy. His mother was a member of the Moores family prominent in East Texas pre-War Between the States (Civil War) history.
Through the effort of Captain Roseborough, one of the veterans who died shortly after the dedication, the contract for he monument was drawn up with the Albright Weiblem Marble and Granite Works of New Orleans, Louisiana, on 28 February 1917.
The monument was designed to have a Confederate Soldier standing on the highest section of the monument; his platform supported by four columns or pillars which form a square, where a Confederate mother sits with bowed head. Five marble steps rise from a hexagon base and lead up to this first platform where the mother sits. The dedication it to her as well as the soldiers who fought.
The inscription, on the south side of the monument, reads as follows:
"To Our Loyal Confederates"
"Oh, great Confederate Mothers, we would paint your names on monuments, that men may read them as the years go by and pay tribute to you, who bore and nurtured hero sons and gave them solace on that darkest day, when they came home, with broken swords and guns."
Because of World War I, delivery of the monument was delayed, and over a year after it's order, the monument was received in Texarkana in April 1918. On Sunday, 21 April 1918, there was a public presentation and dedication. The late Rolin Rogers was master of ceremonies and made the dedication speech.
The sculpture of both mother and soldier were carved in Leghorn, Italy, from Carara marble and cost $9,250. The total cost of the monument was $10,000 which Captain Roseborough personally guaranteed. He gave generously toward the monument himself, and the remainder of the cost was raised by members of the United Daughters of the Confederacy, and public subscription.
(Text and picture above are taken from The Texarkana USA Genealogist's Quarterly, VolumeVII Number 1- Spring 1980.)