Boracho was on U.S. Hwy 80 and the Texas & Pacific Railway 10 miles W of Kent & 26 miles E of Van Horn in south central Culberson County. Its name is probably a misspelling of borracho, Spanish for "drunk." One source says the town got its name during the construction of the railroad, more from the Handbook of Texas Online
Kent is at the intersection of I-10, U.S. Hwy 80, State Hwy 118, & FM 2424, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad 36 miles E of Van Horn in southeastern Culberson County. It was founded before 1892 and was originally known as Antelope, more from the Handbook of Texas Online
Pine Springs is on U.S. Hwy 62/180 59 miles N of Van Horn & 3 miles SE of Guadalupe Peak in Guadalupe Mountains National Park in northwestern Culberson County. The site was known to nineteenth-century travelers crossing Guadalupe Pass, more from the Handbook of Texas Online
Van Horn, the county seat of Culberson County, is at the intersection of U.S. Hwys 80 and 90 & State Hwy 54, on the Missouri Pacific Railroad 36 miles west of Kent in southwestern Culberson County. Lots more about Van Horn
Lobo was 12 miles south of Van Horn on the Southern Pacific line and U.S. Highway 90 in southwestern Culberson County. Near the site were the Van Horn Wells, the only dependable water source for miles. The wells were a stop on the San Antonio-San Diego mail route in the 1850s and 1860s. In 1882 the railroad drilled a water well and built a depot and cattle loading pens in the area. By 1907 a post office had been opened and named for the wolves that had formerly roamed the area. Storekeeper J. Curtis Jones was postmaster. In 1909 a townsite was laid out at Lobo; promoters advertised artesian wells and a large hotel, among other amenities, but when the purchasers arrived they discovered that they had been duped. Through legal action, however, they forced the promoters to build a hotel, drill wells, and generally live up to their promises. In 1911, when Culberson County was organized, Lobo vied unsuccessfully with Van Horn to become the county seat, and in 1914 Lobo had an estimated population of twenty, two physicians, several cattle breeders, an automobile livery, and a general store.