Historical Markers
Ancient Rocks Boundary
Alpine, Brewster County, Texas
Ancient Rocks Boundary Marker (Next to Brewster Co. Marker) 
  Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Location: From Alpine; take U.S.90 east about 8 miles to the junction of US 90 & US 67.
Marker Text: The mountains toward the east are limestone reef beds deposited in the Cretaceous and Permian seas about 135 million years ago and 250 million years ago; respectively. The limestone reefs overlie deformed rocks in the Ouachita Fold Belt, which is visible along the highway to the east, near Marathon. To the south are younger limestone beds deposited about 125 to 135 million year ago. They also rest above the Ouachita Fold Belt (so named for the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas-Oklahoma, where formation was first studied by geologists). Toward the west, northwest, and southwest are layers of lava and associated volcanic rocks 25 to 35 million years old. These were thrust upward, into and over most of the older sedimentary rock layers. Many of the molten rock masses cooled and hardened underneath, while vast quantities poured over the surface in the form of lava flows and volcanic debris up to a mile in thickness. Subsequent erosion has sculptured these highlands by removing much of the younger volcanic rock, and cutting deeply into the older sea deposits. Out of the lower, ingenuus hills grow yucca and other cacti, contrasting with juniper and pinon on the higher elevations. (1970)
Denuded Ouachita Rock Belt
Need Photo
Marker Title: Denuded Ouachita Rock Belt
Address:  US-90 & US-385, roadside park, 1 mile E. of Marathon, Brewster County Texas
City: Marathon
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 70
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Marathon, take US 90 about 1 mi. east to junction of US 90 & US 385 N, in roadside area.
Marker Text: Denuded Ouachita Rock Belt In highway cuts toward the east are excellent exposures of almost vertical rocks layers--part of the Ouachita Fold Belt, a northeasterly trending folded and faulted mountainous range which was uplifted about 275 to 290 million years ago. The deformation is comparable in age to the uplift that formed the Appalachian Range of the eastern United States. The term "Ouachita" for this earth formation comes from the Ouachita Mountains of Arkansas and Oklahoma. (These were named by the Indians, whose words were rendered into written language by the 16th century French explorers.) In the hillside toward the northeast, the highly deformed strata are overlaid by almost horizontal layers of "younger" rock--formed about 135 million years ago. Erosion wore down the old mountains; and when the area was coverd by the sea, the horizontal layers were deposited on the sea floor. Later uplifting earth movement comparable in age to the forming of the Rocky Mountain range gently elevated this area, exposing it to erosional forces which have shaped the topography seen today. This region abounds in vivid lessons in geology, and is under constant study by scientists.  State Historical Survey Committee, 1970
Black Gap Wildlife Management Area
Marathon, Brewster County, Texas
Photo needed
Marker Location: From Marathon, take US 385 south @ 38 mi, take Stillwell-Heath Rd east about 18 mi, to Black Gap entrance
Marker Text: Black Gap Wildlife Management Area Black Gap, a natural cleft in the basalt ridge northeast of the Sierra del Carmen the headquaters site of the Black Gap Wildlife Mangement Area. Established in 1948, the "Gap" contains approximately 100,000 acres representative of the rugged big country- the typical arid, mountainous southwest. Owned by the people of Texas and operated by the Game and Fish Commission, the area is the scene of research and developmental work dedicated to the conservtion and restortion of wildlife species indigenous to the region. mule, deer, ,javelina, prong-horned antelope and scaled quail are among the principal game species managed. Work is in process to restore the bighorn sheep which, by the 1960' were all but eliminated from Texas. Scientific land use practices, designed to increases the yield of natural food for wildlife, have been instituted by the Commision, water impoundment, diversion dams and "push ups" seeded with native vegation. Research findings, through demonstratins and educational extension programs conducted on this federal-state cooperative project, are available to the surrounding landowners and others who are interested. Game surpluses produced on the Black Gap are harvested periodically by hunters under a controlled public hunt program.  1970
Brewster County Courthouse
Alpine, Brewster County, Texas
5th St., courthouse lawn, Alpine, Brewster County Texas
Current Use: Active Courthouse
Owner: County
Style: Second Empire
Description: Designed in the Second Empire style by Tom Lovell, the Brewster County Courthouse was constructed in 1888. The two-and-one-half story building is rectangular in design with the entrances defined by a central pavilion on each side. Courthouse building erected in 1887 when Brewster County was created. Served Buchel and Foley County until these areas where added to Brewster County. Courthouse Square still is community center for various events.  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, State Historical Survey Committee, 1936
Brewster County
Alpine, Brewster County, Texas
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Location: From Alpine, take US 90 about 8.1 mi, east - roadside
Marker Text: Brewster County formed from Presidio County. Created February 2, 1887. In 1897 the territory of Buchel and Foley counties was added to Brewster. Named for Henry Percy Brewster 1816-1884 soldier and statesman, a hero of San Jacinto. Murphyville county seat, 1887, name changed to Alpine, 1889. Largest county in area in the state. Year Marker Erected: 1936
Burgess' Water Hole
Kokernot Masonul Lodge property, Kokernot Springs, off of SH 223, Alpine  Kokernot Park
Marker Text: Burgess' Water Hole, called San Lorenzo by Juan Dominguez de Mendoza,1684. Later Charco Alzate in honor of an Apache chieftain. Water hole honoring John W. Burgess, pioneer freighter who here outwitted the Apaches. The emigrant road to California by the way of Chihuahua passed this place. 1936
Carr, J.C.-Bob Slight House
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: J.C. Carr-Bob Slight House
Address:  406 5th St., Alpine, Brewster County Texas
City: Alpine
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1968
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 406 5th St., Alpine
Marker Text: J.C. Carr-Bob Slight House * Bulit 1884 by an early settler, J.C. Carr. Adobe brick double walls were laid at night, slowly drying to super-strength, in time honoerd southwestern manner. Five abobe rooms were added after 1903 sale to Judge R.B. Slight (1869-1953), English law clerk who came here to be a cowboy after seeing wild west shows. Judge Slight was civic leader, rancher and merchant, influential in founding Sul Ross College. He lived in this house 50 years. ** Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1968** House now owned by F.J. Ellyson. 1968
Chambers Hotel
Need Photo
Marker Title: Chambers Hotel
Address:  Main Street
City: 
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1965
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: Main St., Marathon
Marker Text: Chambers Hotel. Original adobe building constructed in 1891. First owner, Mrs. Mary Collins. Purchased in 1905 by (Gran) Chambers. Enlarged and a wooden frame built over the thick walls. Operated as Chambers Hotel until 1930. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
City Building
Need Photo
Marker Title: City Building
Address:  205 Ave. E
City:  Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1965
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 205 Ave. E, Alpine
Marker Text: City Building. Erected in 1893. Oldest public school building standing in Alpine. Abandoned as school in 1910. Later served as a hospital, college dormitory, Border Patrol station and U.S. Agricultural and Soil Conservation Service. Recorded Texas Historical Landmark. 1965.
Texas Confederate Colonel Henry P. Brewster
(1816-1884)
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Address:  5th St., courthouse lawn, Alpine, Brewster County Texas
Marker Text: County named for Texas Confederate Colonel Henry P. Brewster, 1816-1884. South Carolinian; came to Texas, 1836. Attorney General, State of Texas, 1847-49. When South seceded he was instrumental in recruiting post office personnel, gathering property, arms, munitions of war from Texas for the Confederacy. Appointed Adjutant and Inspector General under General Albert S. Johnston. Assigned special duty under General John B. Hood. Buried 60 fathoms deep in the Gulf of Mexico at his request. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy Erected by the State of Texas 1963
Comanche Trail
Marker Title: Comanche Trail
Address:  US-385, parking lot of Persimmon Gap entrance station to Big Bend National
Marker Text: Comanche Trail You are now traveling the Comanche Trail blazed by Comanche Indians, en route from the western plains to Mexico, and traveled later by emigrants and soldiers. It extended south from the Horse Head Crossing of the Pecos by Comanche Springs (Fort Stockton) to the Rio Grande.County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Marathon, take US 385 S. about 42 mi, to Parsimmon Gap entrance to Big Bend. Marker is in parking lot to entrance station
Double Mills
Need Photo
Marker Title: Double Mills
Address:  US-385, roadside park @ Maravillas Creek, 35 miles S Marathon
City: Marathon
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1967
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Marathon, take US Hwy 385 south about 35 mi, to roadside area at Maravillas Creek.
Marker Text: Double Mills A natural watering place in prehistoric time, as evidenced by artifacts found here. Used later by Indians and Spaniards on roads from northern Mexico. As Maravillas Creek developed from a draw into water channel, old water hole vanished. About 1900 a rancher, George Miller, dug two wells and put up twin windmills. After that site was called Double Mills. Became campsite for ranchers driving cattle and horses from Mexico or the Chisos Mountains to the railroad at Marathon. Also for wagon trains of ore; and for U.S. troops on border duty. (1967)
First Baptist Church of Alpine
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: First Baptist Church of Alpine
Address: 203 N. 4th St.
City: Alpine
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 2003
Designations: na
Marker Location: Alpine, 203 N. 4th St.
Marker Text: First Baptist Church of Alpine When the railroad came through this area in 1882, the settlement of Osborne was established here near natural springs. The community's name changed to Murphysville in 1883, and at that time, as the population began to grow, missionaries arrived from numerous denominations. Included among them was the noted Rev. George W. Baines. In 1883, he held what was reportedly the first Protestant meeting in the community, which became known as Alpine in 1888. Ten years after Baines' meeting, the First Baptist Church of Alpine was officially organized on April 14, 1893. It called its first pastor, the Rev. D.B. Rose, in 1894. That same year, the church affiliated with the Sweetwater Association, and the congregation met in various locations until purchasing this site and dedicating its first sanctuary, an adobe structure, here in 1896. The congregation by that time had a Women's Missionary Union and held regular Bible and Sunday School classes. Membership increased, and next to its sanctuary in 1910, the congregation added a parsonage. The church grew, with nearly two hundred members enrolled in Sunday School and youth and service groups. In 1915, it began work on a larger sanctuary, in use by 1917. Architect James E. Greene's design included ample sanctuary seating, as well as Sunday School rooms, a baptistery, a Ladies Aid parlor and a pastor's study. The congregation added facilities and expanded its programs to meet the needs of the community, including the Sul Ross Teachers College, which opened in 1920. With no local public library, members established a borrowing library. Other programs included children's and youth programs, Boy Scout sponsorship, mission work in Alpine and in Mexico, and activities at Sul Ross State University. Participating in Baptist work locally and internationally, First Baptist Church continues to lead its local and regional communities through its many programs, services and dedicated members. (2003)
First Methodist Church
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: First Methodist Church
Address:  208 Ave. D
City:  Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 0
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 208 Ave D., Alpine
Marker Text: Built in 1889 by Alpine residets. Altar portion, original adobe church remains. Here met Methodists, Baptists, Presbyterians. Methodist congregaton organized by circuit-riding preacher, Rev. S.G. Kilgore, in 1884. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
First School House
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: First School House
Address:  4th St. & Main St
City:  Marathon, TexasCounty: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1965
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: Off Main Street 1 block west at 4th., Marathon.
Marker Text: First School House Oldest school building in Brewster County. Built in 1888. Used for all public meetings and all elections. Restored in 1928 by ladies of Marathon Study Club. Is known as the Club House.  Recored Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
Fort Pena Colorada
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: Fort Pena Colorada (Red Rock) History of Fort Pena Colorada  (Handbook of Texas)
Address:  Camp ground & city park, 4 miles SW on local road
City:  Marathon, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Marathon, take local road 4-5 mi. sw to camp ground & city park
Marker Text: Established in 1880 as a means of preventing Indian raids into Mexico. Raided by Apaches in 1881. Abandoned in 1893 after Western Texas had been permanently cleared of Indians.   Erected by the State of Texas, 1936
Gage Hotel
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: Gage Hotel
Address:   Ave. C & US-90
City: Marathon
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1981
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: US 90 & Ave. C, Marathon
Marker Text: THE GAGE HOTEL This brick hotel building, designed by the El Paso firm of Trost and Trost, was constructed in 1926-27 for Vermont native Alfred S. Gage. A cattleman, Gage founded the largest ranching operation in the Trans-Pecos, consisting of over 600 sections of land. After moving to San Antonio, where he became a successful besinessman and banker, the hotel served as his Marathon residence and as the headquarters for his local cattle and banking interests.   Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1981
Gage-Van Sickle House
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: Gage-Van Sickle House
Address:  109 W. 3rd St.
City:  Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1965
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 109 W. 3rd St., Alpine
Marker Text: GAGE-VAN SICKLE HOUSE Built in 1866. Early owners L. Gage, Seth N. Gage, W.W. Turney and Wigfall Van Sickel.  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
Garcia-Valadez House
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: Garcia-Valadez House
Address:  108 W. Ave. F
City:  Alpine, Texas 
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1968
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 108 W. Ave F, Alpine
Marker Text: GARICA-VALADEZ HOUSE * Built in 1890 by Trinidad Garcia, ranch hand. Original four rooms had adobe walls 27 to 33 inches thick. Was a social center for many years. Since 1926, home of Thomas Valadez, a leading local merchant, and family house now has eight rooms.  Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, State Historical Survey Committee, 1968.
Harman, Colonel Lewis Given
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: Colonel Lewis Given Harman (1818-1902)
Address:  Jct. US-90 & US-385, roadside park, 1 mile E.
City: Marathon, Texas 
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1964
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Marathon, take US 90 about 1 mi. east to junction of US 90 with US 385 N.
Marker Text: Typical of those who served the South and then moved into new counties of Western Texas. Surveyor, Indian agent, soldier, legislator, Justice of the Peace. Born in Tennessee. Moved to Texas 1838. Fought in Mexican War. Though 43 when Civil War began, immediately joined 11th Texas Cavalry, in swift 1861 campaign to place Confederate forts in Indian Territory. Was Post Commander, Fort Arbuckle, I.T., June to August 1861. Civic leader in Marathon after its founding in 1882. Had town's first Masonic funeral.   State Historical Survey Committee, 1964
Holland Hotel Building
Elders Ricks and Lee of the LDS Church in Alpine, photographers, 2005
Marker Title: Holland Hotel Building
Address:  207 W. Holland Street
City: Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1980
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 207 W. Holland, Alpine
Marker Text: HOLLAND HOTEL BUILDING* This Spanish Colonial Revival hotel was built in 1912 for John R. Holland (d.1922), a successful area cattleman. Completed during the mercury mining boom days of Alpine, it served as the civic,social, and business center for the growing city. After Holland's death, the business was managed by his son Clay, who made several additions to the structure. Despite changes in ownership, the Holland Hotel remained in operation until 1969.   Recorded Texas Historic Landmark -1980
Los Caballos
Photo needed
Marker Title: Los Caballos (in core of the Ouachita Structural Belt)
Address:  US-385, roadside park, 12 miles S. of Marathon, Brewster County Texas
City: Marathon
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1970
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Marathon, take US 385 about 12 mi. south, in roadside park area.
Marker Text: Highly deformed rocks in the Ouachita Fold Belt, a northeasterly trending range, uplifted about 275 to 290 million years ago. The intricate folding is shown by whitish rock bands--called caballos (the Spanish word for horses)--exposed on both sides of this highway. The Ouachita Fold is comparable in age to the uplift that formed the Appalachians in the eastern part of the United States. The northwesterly trending Del Norte-Santiago range (southmost extension of the Rocky Mountains) forms the southwestern skyline. The rocks of the range were deposited in a sea that coverd the Ouachita Fold Belt after erosion had reduced the highlands and a later submergence lowered the area. Santiago Peak (named for a local man who was killed by Indians and buried beneath the peak) is the high, flat-topped mountain to the southwest. It was once a mass of molten magma that cooled and hardened underneath the earth's surface and was uncovered by later erosion. The Del Norte-Santiago range, uplifted and folded 40 to 60 million years ago, is not half the age of the Ouachita Fold. This is a remarkable fusion of "old" and "young" mountains--and is unmatched at any other site in North America.  State Historical Survey Committee, 1970
Marathon
Photo Need
Marker Title: Marathon
Address:  US-90 & US-385, 1 mile E. of Marathon, Brewster County Texas
City: Marathon, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1964
Designations: na
Marker Location: From Marathon, about 1 mi. east on US 90.
Marker Text: MARTHON* Fort Pena Colorada, the last active fort in this area, on the old Comanche Trail, about 4 miles to the southwest was established in 1879. Marathon was founded in 1881. Named by an old sea captain, A.E. Shepard, for the Plain of Marathon, in Greece, of which the hills here reminded him. Cradle of West Texas cattle industry. Among the first noted ranchers here were Mayer M. Halff and brother, owners of the famous Circle Dot brand. Original gateway to the Big Bend National Park. (1964)
Nolte-Rooney House
Marker Title: Nolte-Rooney House
Address:  307 Ave. D, Alpine, Brewster County Texas
City: Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1968
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 307 Ave. D, Alpine
Marker Text: NOLTE-ROONEY HOUSE* Built 1890 by F.H. Nolte, early settler, on land in Murphyville (NW Alpine). The 20 inch walls are made of adobe bricks molded at the building site. Home was sold 1893 to John Rooney, second county Sheriff. The exterior looks as it did in 1890.   Recorded Texas Historic Landmark --1968
Our Lady of Peace Parish Hall
Marker Title: Our Lady of Peace Parish Hall
Address: 
City: 
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1965
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 102 W. Ave G, Alpine
Marker Text: OUR LADY OF PEACE PARISH HALL Site of the oldest church building in Alpine, originally called Our Lady of Guadalupe Church, completed in 1892 and in continuous use as a church until 1942, and as a parish hall until 1964.   Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965
Ritchey Hotel
Marker Title: Ritchey Hotel, 1886
Address:  4th St. & Murphy St., Alpine, Brewster County Texas
City: Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1965
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: Corner of Murphy & S. 4th Sts., Alpine; (fronts tracks)
Marker Text: 1886 frame and adobe. Built facing old cattle loading pens on the Southern Pacific Railway. Lodgings and saloon for cowhands and ranchers in town to ship cattle from widely scattered ranches of the Big Bend country. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark, 1965.
Ross, General Lawrence "Sul"
Marker Title: Texas Confederate General Lawrence "Sul" Ross
Address:  US-90, Admin. Bldg. Sul Ross College, Alpine, Brewster County Texas
City: Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1963
Designations: na
Marker Location: Adminstration Building, Sul Ross College, US 90, Alpine
Marker Text: College named for Texas Confederate General Lawrence "Sul" Ross. Lawrence Sullivan Ross 1838-1898 Entered Confederate service a private in 1861. Made Colonel, 6th Texas Cavalry May 1862. Commended for outstanding role in withdrawal from Corinth, Miss., October 1862. Made Brigadier General December 1863. Led famed Ross Cavalry Brigade composed chiefly of Texans in almost continual action in Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee until war's end, with major battles at Lawrenceburg, Harpeth River, Murfreesboro. In 135 engagements, having 5 horses shot from under him. A memorial to Texans who served the Confederacy. Erected by the State of Texas 1963
Terlingua
Need Photo & Information on this Marker
Marker Title: Terlingua
Address: 
City: Terlinqua
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1936
Designations: na
Marker Location: FM 170, Terlingua
Marker Text: N/A
Townsend, W.W., Home
Marker Title: W.W. Townsend Home
Address:  807 W. Ave. D, Alpine, Brewster County Texas
City:  Alpine, Texas
County: Brewster
Year Marker Erected: 1986
Designations: Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Marker Location: 807 W. Ave. D, Alpine
Marker Text: W.W. TOWNSEND HOME* Built in 1908 by local architect and building contractor William Daugherty for William Wallace Townsend (1833-1915), this house is a good example of a turn-of-the-century residence. Allen H. Palmer purchased the home in 1920 and lived here until his death in 1927. The cast stone structure features paired front doors, shingled dormers, and a front porch with Eastlake influences. An outside staircase, added before 1913, was removed in the 1940s.   Recorded Texas Historic Landmark-1986


Content of this site has been gathered from many sources and transcribed records. Therefore, errors may occur. When in doubt as to the accuracy of data contained herein, go to the actual records yourself.  If you find any inaccurate data, please let me know.  The information contained in this website is for your personal use only.  All pages, compilations, transcriptions and abstracts are protected by copyright law and may not be published in whole or in part without written consent of the author, contributor and/or webmaster.