MITCHELL COUNTY, TEXAS
The TXGenWeb Project and The USGenWeb Project
The History of Cuthbert
Cuthbert Town was founded in 1890 by D. T. Bozeman, teacher and merchant, on a main wagon road, 16 miles northwest of Colorado (City).
Town was named for Bozeman's neighbor, T. T. Cuthbertson. First postmaster was Mrs. Bozeman. A good well by Bozeman's General Store attracted freighters. First Cuthbert School opened in 1893. First rural telephone line in county was built in 1898 from Bozeman's home to Colorado (City).
In 1907, Cuthbert boasted Bozeman's Store, G. W. Womack's General Store, A Gin, Blacksmith Shop, Barber Shop, Church and School, Post office closed in 1959.
Other Links for Cuthbert The Handbook of Texas Online* Rootsweb's Post Offices and Post Masters
of Mitchell County, Texas 1881-1930*
Ghost Towns (this page has photos)*
Thanks to Hidden Ancestors for hosting this site !
Copyright © 2007-Palmer - Christina Palmer-The TXGenWeb Project - All Rights Reserved
COPYRIGHT NOTICE: All files on this site are copyrighted by their creator. They may be linked to but may not be reproduced electronically or otherwise without specific permission from the county host and/or the contributor. Although public information is not copyrightable, the format in which it is presented, the notes and comments, etc., are. It is however, quite permissible to print or save the files to a personal computer for personal use only.
For more information on the TXGenWeb, visit the website. State Coordinator: Shirley Cullum