David Torres

History of Hynes Bay,  
Includes map

History from Texas Handbook


Austwell Death Records


Austwell Cemetery

DuBois Cemetery


Presbyterian Church

Methodist Church


Austwell-Tivoli ISD

Austwell Honor Roll 1945


"The townsite of Austwell was surveyed and laid out by L.A. Gueringer, civil engineer, in the fall of 1911, the first plat being dated December 20, 1911.  It is located on parts of the John Hynes and James Collyer grants on the south shore of Hynes Bay.  The town as originally platted contained 29 blocks and several out-lots.  The Refugio Land & Irrigation Company was original proprietor of the town.  On May 6, 1913, a new plat, prepared by Engineer Gueringer, was compiled which showed the townsite to contain 60 town blocks, a hotel block, a public park, and several industrial trackage blocks.  The re-plat included the Stevens & Mernitz Addition."

Source:  Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County from Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955)



Return to Home of Refugio Co., TXGenWeb


Copyright 2009 to present - The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.  

Notice to Webmasters:  
You may not copy and paste the material, data or information on any of the pages of this site to another web page or site without obtaining explicit written  permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.