History from Texas Handbook

Deeds wherein Town of Refugio is the Grantor

Saloons and Gambling Houses

1901 Telephone Directory


Baptist Church

First Baptist Church

Catholic Church

Presbyterian Church


Campo Santo Cemetery

Community Cemetery

Mt. Calvary Cemetery

Oakwood Cemetery

St. James Cemetery





"A ranch headquarters of Refugio Mission was established at the Place of the Copanos shortly after 1791....From the time of the establishment of the ranch headquarters the place began to be called, in addition to the earlier names, Rancho de Santa Gertrudis and El Rancho de el Diesmero...'Here,' as Father Oberste states, 'were kept the cattle of Juan Barrera, the tithesman of the province."

With the removal of Refugio Mission to this locality, in 1795, a settlement began to spring up...

When the mission was abandoned in 1830, there appear to have been considerable groups of Mexican and Indian families living at the mission, who were still there in the summer of 1834.  Lists of these inhabitants are referred to in various documents pertaining to the empresa, but the lists cannot now be found.  Jose Miguel Aldrete, alcalde of Goliad maintained residences both at Goliad and Refugio.

The McMullen and McGloin colonists arrived at the mission in December, 1829, and remained there for a great length of time.  These, with the early arrivals of the Power and Hewetson colony, made up a good-sized settlement....

William St. John describes Refugio when he first saw it, in 1834, as 'a might small place; only a few jacals or huts at that time'...Dr. Beales describes the place on December 30, 1833, as being 'five or six miserable huts.'

The first Irish...families to permanently settle in Refugio were those of John Scott, James Brown and William Ryan, who came there prior to 1829....Among the permanent settlers who arrived at Refugio between 1829 and the arrival of the bulk of the Irish colony in 1834 were Catarina Dugan, Ellen Gillam, John Dunn, Jeremiah Toole, Martin Toole, William Quinn, Patrick Quinn, Edward St. John, Michael Fox, William Quirk, John Keating, John Hynes, and Edward McDonough."

Source:  Hobart Huson, Refugio: A Comprehensive History of Refugio County from Aboriginal Times to 1953 (2 vols., Woodsboro, Texas: Rooke Foundation, 1953, 1955)


Return to Home of Refugio Co., TXGenWeb


Copyright 2009 to present - The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.  

Notice to Webmasters:  
You may not copy and paste the material, data or information on any of the pages of this site to another web page or site without obtaining explicit written  permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.