Did You Know?

Woodsboro was incorporated in 1928.
Source:  Refugio Timely Remarks Centennial Edition, 1934
The Woman's Civic Club of Woodsboro was organized on September 29, 1928.
Source:  Refugio Timely Remarks Centennial Edition, 1934
Dr. W.M. Dodson was the first mayor of Woodsboro and served until 1931, when he did not run for re-election.
Source:  Refugio Timely Remarks Centennial Edition, 1934
Mrs. Mabel Dischinger of Refugio  was, in 1965 at the time of the groundbreaking for the new sanctuary, the only living member of the 1908 congregation of the First Presbyterian Church of Refugio.  [1908 was the year the church was established.]
Source:  Refugio County Press, June 23, 1965, p. 1
Mrs. W.W. Harkins of Refugio had a "quaint accent" from her New Orleans hometown.
Source: Mack Cole
The parish of Our Lady of Refuge in Refugio is one of the oldest parishes in the Diocese of Corpus Christi.
Source: Oberste
In 1917 the Refugio Hotel stood at the corner of South Alamo and West Purisima Streets.
Source: Refugio County records
Edward Lewis and A.J. Lott of Refugio worked as pressers at the Hi-Way Cleaners in the 1950's.
Source: Rena McWilliams
Lloyd "Pete" Hughes was a hero during World War II.  He was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor posthumously 
A number of killings occurred at the Bull's Head Saloon in Refugio.  Perhaps the most noted of them was the gun fight between John McGrew and Luke Porter
Source: Memoirs of Judge William L. Rea
Miss Evelyn Tidwell taught penmanship in Refugio.
Source: Mack Cole
Kaleta Lyon was the first home demonstration agent for Refugio County (1920).
Source: John Bourglund, Refugio

"Red" Kelley's real name was Amos and that he was named for Amos Barber?
Source: Mack Cole

Mr. and Mrs. Martin of Refugio had a fruit stand on Alamo Street next to the First Presbyterian Church during the 1950's.  They kept their watermelons underneath a layer of straw in the back.
Source: Mrs. Maxine Reilly, Refugio Co. Museum
Mr. "Long" Tom Heard of Refugio had a bucking horse named "Old Sad Sam".
Source: Mack Cole
John Jacob Thomas (Thommens)  brought his family from Switzerland to Texas in 1844. Family tradition is that he walked from Galveston to Corpus Christi with his family following in a sailboat. He first moved the family to St. Joseph's Island and then to Salt Creek.  While living on the ranch at Salt Creek his daughters Eve and Sarah were kidnapped by the Comanche Indians. Eve was stabbed several times with spears and left for dead. She hid in a tree until found by her brother, John, and Jim Fox, a friend of the Fagan family.  Sarah was held captive until the government arranged to have her traded for an Indian boy and some blankets and other articles.
Source:  The Sunday Enterprise, February 19, 1946 provided by Roger Taylor.   taylor31@tstar.net
George Fulton, who built the Fulton Mansion in Rockport-Fulton, was a resident of Refugio County in 1870.  He and his wife, Harriett, and three daughters were enumerated in Refugio County because Aransas County had not yet been formed.
John Hynes as the local agent for the Texian Advocate (newspaper) in 1850.
[Source: The Texian Advocate, January 11, 1850]



Return to Home of Refugio Co., TXGenWeb


Copyright 2009 to present - The TXGenWeb Project
All rights reserved. 
All information/material on this website is provided for and may be used by individuals who are researching Refugio County history or the genealogy of Refugio County residents.  The information may be freely used by non-commercial entities, libraries or genealogical societies as long as this copyright notice appears on the copied material.  Commercial use of this information is strictly prohibited without prior written permission.  The electronic pages on this site may not be reproduced in any format for profit or commercial use.  

Notice to Webmasters:  
You may not copy and paste the material, data or information on any of the pages of this site to another web page or site without obtaining explicit written  permission to do so and without including the copyright notice.