First local industrial plant. Processed cottonseed into cake, meal, hulls, oil. Gave city a good payroll, a work whistle marking times of day, and a good aroma. Built 1909-10 by Bird, Hall and Mertz, of San Angelo. Stone for millhouse was quarried at Posey farm, on Gap Creek (southeast of city). Owned by Herman Giesecke and Associates, of Ballinger (1911-27); then by Anderson, Clayton & Co., of Houston. Mill closed in 1939 after cotton farming declined.