Settlement of this area of Runnels County began at the end of the 19th century. Attracted by the good climate and farmland, Charlie Black (1868-1946) arrived in the area in 1899. Another early settler was Walter Gentry, and when a post office was established in 1906 the community was named in honor of Gentry's wife, Marie. The settlement remained very small, with a few houses, a store, gin, blacksmith shop, and school, which also served for worship services on Sundays. The community gradually disappeared as people moved to larger towns.