Historical Markers
in Runnels County, Texas
Maverick
Maverick - E. city limits on US158
Founded in the 1870s. Named for Samuel A. Maverick (1803-1870), who came to Texas 1835. Fought in the Texas War for Independence. In Secession Convention, 1861, he was made one of the commissioners to negotiate surrender of United States troops in San Antonio. In 1853 he had land in this important ranching area.
1964
Copyright 1997-present