Mazeland (2 1/2 miles southwest) was founded in 1903 when a post office and store opened on A. B. Hutchinson's Ranch. Community was probably named for the corn or "maize" which grows in the area. A one-room school, built 1 mile west (1904), later served both places. By 1906 the settlement had enlarged, so this section was named in honor of Joe Wilmeth, a popular Ballinger banker. Before Wilmeth Post Office was established (1907) citizens would take turns bringing mail from Mazeland in horse-drawn wagons. In 1909, however, both post offices were discontinued.