Historical Markers
in Runnels County, Texas
Poe Chapel
Winters - 6mi. W. on US153
Named in honor of William Wyatt Poe, who came to Texas from his native Alabama in late 1870. Married Jerusha Evaline Cline in 1885; had ten children. Moved family to Runnels County, 1904. Gave land for school and church buildings. Was school trustee. Three sons were later on school board. Family active in farming, civic and church affairs. Son, Howard, introduced 4-row tractor farming to area in 1930. Upon W. W. Poe's death, 1945, each child inherited a farm. Land is still farmed mainly by his grandsons.
1967
Copyright 1997-present