Historical Markers
in Runnels County, Texas
Pumphrey
Winters - FM 1677 via SH 153, about 10 mi NW
Founded about 1899. Named for Wm. M. Pumphrey (1849-1937), early settler. A deacon of the Baptist church, he would put his organ in a wagon on weekends and take it, his wife and 11 children to attend services in Wingate. In 1900, as the settlement grew, a one-room frame school was built and named New Hope, to embody the aspirations of the citizens. The community came to have a post office (1901-1912), several stores and 2 churches. It withstood tragedy in 1906 when 4 men were killed by lighting -- leaving more than 20 children orphans.
1969
Copyright 1997-present