Historical Markers
in Runnels County, Texas
Ranger Campsite
Winters - FM382 16 mi. NE of Winters
One-half mile east of here some twenty-five to thirty Texas Rangers of Company E were stationed in 1874, under the command of Capt. W.J. "Jeff" Maltby. They kept sentries posted on nearby "Ranger Peak" to guard against Indians. Remains of a dry well they dug are still visible.
1970
Copyright 1997-present