Historical Markers
in Runnels County, Texas
Ranger Peak
Winters - FM382 16 mi. NE of Winters
Named for Company E, Texas Rangers, which was stationed one half mile east of peak in 1874. Atop peak, Rangers (under Capt. W.J. "Jeff" Maltby) kept a lookout for Indians. Outfit was part of the Frontier Battalion, organized to protect Texas settlers on frontier stretching from Red River to the Nueces. Camp was abandoned in 1876.
1970
Copyright 1997-present