Constructed here, 1888-89, after hotly contested battle with Runnels City for county seat. (County had been organized 1880.) Structure stands on one of largest courthouse squares in Texas -- 2 city blocks. Plot set aside prior to town lot sale by Santa Fe Railroad, June 29, 1886. In 1941, extensive remodeling modernized building. Two wings were added and old quarry (south of town on Colorado River) was opened to provide matching stone.