Historical Markers
in Runnels County, Texas
Sons of Hermann Lodge No. 216
Rowena - Edwards St.
Organized in 1904 as Rowena Chapter of the Sons of Hermann, worldwide benevolent fraternal organization. Named for German national hero and tribal leader Hermann the Defender (18 B.C. - 19 A.D.), who helped break Roman power east of the Rhine River in 9 A.D. First officers of the Rowena Lodge were Michelus Feist, president; Julius J. Henkhaus, vice president; Walter Schuhmann, secretary; Ignatz Olsak, treasurer. There were ten charter members. The order maintains a youth camp and home for the aged, for members, at town of Comfort.
1971
Copyright 1997-present