The History of the Court Houses
of Taylor County
FIRST COURTHOUSE WAS IN BUFFALO GAP
History has seen four courthouses in Taylor County. The first was in Buffalo Gap, Texas , the original
location of the County Seat. When the railroad was constructed through Abilene, bypassing
Gap, it was only a few months until the growth of Abilene indicated its future as the
center of the county. Not without a lot of hard feelings and threats from both sides,
the county seat
was moved to Abilene. The original courthouse has been restored and is part of
the "Historical Village"
in Buffalo Gap.
Picture reprinted with permission of the Abilene Preservation League.
The 1883 heated election moved the county seat from Buffalo Gap to Abilene. The following year saw construction begin on Abilene's first courthouse. It was a grand addition to the rapidly
In 1912 the1884 courthouse was razed to make room for the third courthouse. It is currently as
above and still houses some of the county offices.
THE PRESENT COURTHOUSE
In the late 1960s a location just west and across the street was selected for a new courthouse.
It turned out
to be a good location and a very impressive facility was completed in 1972.
The photograph labeled
"Present Courthouse" is how it appears today.