WELCOME TO
WILKES COUNTY, GEORGIA

The GAGenWeb Project and The USGenWeb Project

&

The AHGP Project

Little River Land Surveys
Narratives

 Little River Land Plats

(All plats cited are from the records of the Surveyor General’s Office in the State of Georgia.)

Plat Narratives

 
(All plats cited are from the records of the Surveyor General’s Office in the State of Georgia, unless otherwise noted.)

 

Anderson, Gideon - The 400 acre plat surveyed for Gideon Anderson is found in Plat Book G, page 44. It was surveyed by virtue of a warrant dated March 10, 1784. The warrant was issued by a Land Court in Wilkes County, presided over by Zechariah Lamar, Senior Justice. The survey was executed on the 25th day of April 1784 by James McFarland, D.S. The plat shares its eastern side with Uptons Creek. Along the north side the plat is bordered by Abner Webster, along the west side by Austin Martin and on the south side by Joseph Williams. On September 25, 1785, Gideon Anderson sold to the deacons of the Baptist Society of Uptons Creek Meeting House, viz: John Bentley and Benjamin Hammock, all the land whereon the meeting house stands and two acres, and the use of the spring for five shillings. (from “Early Records of Georgia,” by Grace Davidson, Volume 1, page 236.) It is believed that the church was located on Anderson’s property as described by this plat. 

 

Anglin, William - The 200 acre plat surveyed for William Anglin is found in Plat Book B, page 137. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 24, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 10, 1784 by William Downs, Deputy Surveyor. The survey is surrounded by vacant lands. A branch of Rocky Creek  follows the western boundary of the plat.

 

Bagby, George (#1)  - The 400 acre plat surveyed for George Bagby is found in Plat Book A, page 16. The warrant for the survey was issued on October 10, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 13, 1784 by Sanders Walker, D.S. The survey is bounded on the west by Sanders Walker, on the north by Luke John Morgan, on the east by Morgan and Runnolds, and on the south by Peter Smith. A notation on the identifies the land as “on the ridge”. George Bagby, and his wife Miriam, sold this 400 acres to David Meriwether on December 30, 1785. (“Early Records of Georgia,” by Grace Davidson, Volume 1, p. 240.)

Note: Both 400 acre plats for Bagby appear to be on branches of Beaverdam Creek. Since this survey was warranted first, the assumption has been made that this was the first of the two plats to be granted. The sale of 400 acres to Meriwether is identified as the earlier grant in the deed wording.

 

Bagby, George (#2)  - The 400 acre plat surveyed for George Bagby is found in Plat Book A, page 132. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 12, 1784 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 12, 1784 by Samuel Creswell, C.S. The survey is bounded on the north by Thomas Stark and vacant; on the west by vacant; on the south by Cooper; and on the east by Michael Cooper. Leveret’s road cuts across the northwest corner of the plat. George Bagby, and his wife Miriam, sold this 400 acres to William Terrell on March 23, 1787. (Wilkes County Deed Book DD, page 3.)


Bedell, Absalom - The 450 acre plat for Absalom Bedell is found in Plat Book A, page 85. It was surveyed by virtue of a warrant dated August 12, 1783 that was issued by a Land Court in Wilkes County, presided over by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on the 26th day of August 1783 by William Downs, D.S. The grant was issued to Absalom “Biddle” on February 13, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on July 16, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 95) The most telling feature on the plat is its bisection by Little River. The plat also plat presents us with a key marker, that being the confluence of Beaverdam Creek with Little River. Beaverdam Creek forms the eastern boundary of Bedell above the Little River. It is interesting to note, that the wife of Absalom Bedell was Ruth Jackson and the wife of Robert McGinty was Deborah Jackson. Ruth Jackson Bedell was the Aunt of Deborah Jackson McGinty. Along the southwestern side of the plat, Robert McGinty is shown as a neighbor. Along the northwest side, the land of John Wilson appears and wrapping around the northern and eastern side is the land of William Foster. Curiously, lands attributed to Carr on the southeast and the south sides of the plat, were in fact granted to Thomas Wingfield. (See notes on the plat of Thomas Wingfield.) Absalom Bedell and his wife Ruth sold 224 acres on the south side of Little River to Thomas Wingfield (Wilkes County Deed Book FF, page 26) and 520 acres on the north side of Little River to Peter Terrell. (Wilkes County Deed Book EE, page 68) Both transactions occurred on April 9, 1788. Note: Bedell had picked up adjoining acreage from Foster that is included in this transaction. See William Foster.


Black, Edward - The 500 acre plat surveyed for Edward Black (also depicted as Blake) is found in Plat Book B, page 72. The survey was authorized on November 12, 1783 in a Land Court of Wilkes County presided over by Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice. It was executed on December 26, 1783 by James McFarland, D.S. The grant was issued to Edward Black on September 21, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on September 24, 1784. (Grant Book FFF, page 296) The plat is dated more than a year after Foster and Bedell and as such it shows that by late 1784, Bedell has purchased the southern portion of Foster’s land. Along the western boundary, Absalom Bedell and William Foster are shown as neighbors. On the north is Benjamin Thompson, on the east is Stephen Gafford, and on the south is “Grant’s land.” Edward Black is an interesting plat as it shows continuations of two streams, one the first branch of Beaverdam, and the other a steam that flows into Little River just east of Beaverdam Creek. Edward Black and his wife Rebecca along with John Black and his wife Ann sold 500 acres on Little River and Beaverdam Creek to Thomas Darricott on March 21, 1789. This land is described as being adjacent to Stephen Gafford, Peter Terrell, Thomas Chivers, John Wingfield and John Pinkston. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 61)

 

Brown, Thomas - The 350 acre plat surveyed for Thomas Brown is found in Plat Book A, page 86. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 24, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 13, 1784 by John Gorham, D.S. The survey is surrounded by vacant lands on all sides. Kettle Creek runs through the lot from northwest to southeast. Thomas Brown and his wife Betty sold 350 acres on Kettle creek to James Gresham on March 17, 1790. (Wilkes County Deed Book BB, page 41)

 

Burford, John  - The 166 acre plat surveyed for John Burford is found in Plat Book H, page 13. The warrant for the survey was issued in Wilkes County on September 5, 1785 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on the same day, September 5, 1785, by Benjamin Catching, D.S. The main feature of the survey is Rocky Creek  which is shown flowing through the property. Burford’s plat is bounded on the east by Mary Whatley, on the south by James McFarland and on the west and north by George Gresham. Burford sold 120 acres on Rocky Creek to John Thomas on April 21, 1786. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 82)

 

Bullock, Nathaniel - The 400 acre plat surveyed for Nathaniel Bullock is found in Plat Book B, page 24. The warrant for the survey was issued March 10, 1784 by Zachariah Lamar, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on March 14, 1784 by James Finley, D.S. The survey is bounded on the east by John Conner, vacant and James Dorroughs; on the north by vacant and William Pollard; on the west by Hodges; and on the south by Joel Phillips and John Conner. The plat is bisected by Kettle Creek.  Nathaniel and his wife Mary sold 400 acres on Kettle Creek to Alexander Gordon on August 21, 1787. (Wilkes County Deed Book DD, page 97)

 

Christmas, Nathaniel - The 25 acre plat surveyed for Nathaniel Christmas is found in Plat Book D, page 160. The warrant for the survey was issued in Wilkes County on June 7, 1790. The survey was executed on June 11, 1790 by Nathaniel Christmas. Although small, the survey explains why the survey of Andrew Wilson (#2) does not join tightly with the survey of Benjamin Few. In addition, the survey indicates that the property was bounded by Hardin’s Creek on the north. This is the same area occupied by the survey of Andrew Wilson (#1). This can be explained as this survey was never granted. According to the Index of Head rights and Grants, found in the Georgia Archives, Nathaniel Christmas did not receive any grants in Wilkes County.

Coats, Nathaniel  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Nathaniel Coats is found in the Wilkes County Survey Records, Book C, page 61. The warrant for the survey was issued on November 10, 1783 and the survey was executed on February 10, 1784 by Sanders Walker, D.S.  The plat is bounded on the northeast by Tunstall Roane, on the northwest by Michael Cope, on the southwest by Anthony Cooper, and on the southeast by Anthony Cooper and William Anglin. A branch of Rocky Creek  cuts through the lot.

 

Coleman, Daniel - The 650 acre plat surveyed for Daniel Coleman is found in Plat Book A, page 68. The warrant for the survey was issued on October 6, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 15, 1783 by Sanders Walker, D.S.   the plat is bounded on the east by vacant, Monger and Widow Griffin; on the north by vacant; on the west by Micajah Williamson and Deadwilder; and on the south by vacant. This large plat is situated just to the east of Washington town and has branches of Fishing Creek  in the north and Rocky Creek in the south that flow out of it. 


Conner, John - The 350 acre plat surveyed for John Conner is found in Plat Book G, page 98. A warrant for the survey was issued on October 9, 1783 in a Land Court of Wilkes County presided over by Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice. It was executed on November 10, 1783 by James McFarland, A.S. The land had been previously warranted, Old Warrant No. 264. The grant was issued to John Conner on January 3, 1785 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on January 11, 1785. (Grant Book FFF, page 296) This plat continues the course of Kettle Creek above Joel Phillips property. The plat is surrounded by the following neighbors: Daniel Conner on the east, Joel Phillips on the south, McMurray and Peter Strozier on the west, and vacant to the north.

 

Cook, Drury - The 250 acre plat surveyed for Drury Cook is found in Plat Book B, page 113.  The warrant for the survey was issued on September 10, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 9, 1784 by William Downs, D.S. The plat is bounded by John Querns on the east, vacant on the northeast, Little River on the north, Zachariah Phillips on the west and vacant on the south. The northwestern part of the survey shows Powder Creek as it flows into Little River. Drury Cook sold 250 acres on Little River, adjoining Zachariah Phillips and John Querns, on January 18, 1788. (Wilkes County Deed Book BB, page 23)

 

Cooper, Anthony  - The 500 acre plat surveyed for Anthony Cooper is found in Plat Book B, page 17. The warrant for the survey was issued on September 5, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 18, 1783 by Sanders Walker, D.S. The plat is bounded on the northeast by Henry Anglin, Nathaniel Coats and Michael Cooper; on the north by George Bagby; on the west by John Jones; on the south by vacant; and on the southeast by David Anglin. A branch of Beaverdam Creek flows out of the west side.

Anthony and Mary Cooper sold 300 acres of this lot to Michael Cope on October 12, 1785. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 45)

 

Cope (or Cupp), Michael - The 350 acre plat surveyed for Michael Cope is found in Plat Book B, page 37.  The warrant for the survey was issued on January 21, 1784 by Absalom Bedell, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 25, 1784 by Sanders Walker, D.S. The survey is bounded on the east by Nathaniel Coats and Tunstall Roan; on the north and northwest by Sanders Walker; and on the southwest by George Bagby. Michael and his wife Barbara sold this land in several stages. On October 15, 1785, 200 acres were sold to Charles Cosby. On October 24, 1785, a third of the land sold to Cosby was sold to Thomas Wingfield. (“Early Records of Georgia,” by Grace Davidson, Volume 1, pages 239, 240) Also on October 24, 1785, 150 acres were sold to Tunstall Roan. (Wilkes County Deed Book FF, page 36.) Tunstall Roan, in turn, sold these 150 acres to Micajah Williamson on December 23, 1788. The property was described as 150 acres bounded N. W. by Josiah Cole, N. E. by said Williamson, E. by said Roan, original grant to Michael Cupp. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 62) 

 

Day, Nathaniel - The 150 acre plat surveyed for Nathaniel Day is found in Plat Book CC, page 110. A warrant for the survey was issued on February 6, 1797. The survey was executed on February 7, 1797 by Matthew Talbot, C. S. The survey shows John Nelson and P. Carrell on the west, John Nelson on the north, P. Terrell on the east and Little River on the south. P. Terrell is Peter Terrell who bought 520 acres from Absalom Bedell on April 9, 1788. Governor Jared Irwin granted 150 acres to Nathaniel Day on July 22, 1797. (Grant Book ZZZZ, page 622)

Day, Robert Sr. - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Robert Day is found in Plat Book A, page 67. A warrant for the survey was issued on December 22, 1783 by a land court in Wilkes County, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice presiding. The survey was executed on January 1, 1784 by William Downs, D.S. The plat shows Little River cutting across its southwestern corner and a branch running along its eastern line. Although the survey of Robert Day shows no neighbors, the survey of Hagan shows Robert Day as a neighbor to the east, the survey of Nelson shows Robert Day as a neighbor to the west, and the survey of McGinty shows Robert Day as a neighbor to the north and across Little River. Governor John Houston granted 200 acres to Robert Day, Sr., on February 13, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 81) Robert Day and his wife, Elizabeth, sold 200 acres on Little River to John Nelson on September 5, 1788. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 31)

 

Deadwiler, Martin - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Martin Deadwiler is found in Plat Book G, page 141.  The warrant for the survey was issued on October 10, 1783 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 24, 1784 by Sanders Walker, A.S. the plat is bounded on the east by Daniel Coleman, on the north by Micajah Williamson, on the west by Tunstall Roan, and on the south by Henry Coats. A branch of Rocky Creek flows through the property to the south. Martin Deadwiler sold this land to William Langham on September 11, 1786. (Wilkes County Deed Book CC, page 111)

 

Downs, William - The 360 acre plat surveyed for William Downs is found in Plat Book G, page 138. A warrant for the survey was issued on October 3, 1785 by Absalom Bedell, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 6, 1785 by Zachariah Phillips and William Downs, D.S.  The plat is bordered on the northeast by Zachariah Phillips and vacant; on the northwest by Zachariah Phillips, and on the southwest and south by vacant.  Powder creek is depicted as flowing through the plat from southeast to northwest.

Dukes, Buckner - The 100 acre plat surveyed for Buckner Dukes is found in Plat Book H, page 373. A warrant for the survey was issued by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice, on July 12, 1784. The survey was executed on July 16, 1784 by John Nelson, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. This was a Headright grant, No. 722. The actual grant was issued to Buckner Dukes on February 9, 1790 by Governor Edward Telfair and registered on February 17, 1790. (Grant Book TTT, page 112) The plat is small but very interesting. It is bisected by Mercer’s Branch of Hardin’s Creek. Mercer Creek is named as such on Andrew Wilson’s plat as it enters the 500 acre plat of Silas Mercer, and on the plats of James Whatley and Buckner Duke after it exits Silas Mercer. The neighbors of Buckner Duke are shown as Mulkey on the east and Jackson and Querns on the south.

 

Duncan, Samuel - The 250 acre plat surveyed for Samuel Duncan is found in Plat Book G, page 135. The warrant for the survey was issued on February 7, 1785 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on February 9, 1785 by William Fletcher, D.S. The survey is bounded by Nathaniel Bullock on the east, William Pollard on the north, John Robinett on the west and vacant on the south. Samuel and his wife Mary sold 200 acres on March 1, 1787 to William Elder. The lot is described as being on Kettle Creek and adjoining Nathaniel Bullock and William Pollard. (Wilkes County Deed Book CC, page 59)

 

Dunn, Nehemiah - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Nehemiah Dunn is found in Plat Book G, page 136. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 12, 1784 by William Downs, Senior Justice, in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 13, 1784 by Robert Christmas, D.S. Governor Samuel Elbert issued a grant to Nehemiah Dunn on October 5, 1785. (Grant Book HHH, page 637) The rectangular plat is bounded along the southeast by Little River, on the northeast by Benjamin Few, on the northwest by Failin, and on the southwest by John Powers.

Earley, Jeffery - The 105 acre plat surveyed for Jeffery Early is found in Plat Book Q, page 82. The warrant for the survey was dated August 24, 1787 and the survey was executed on August 25, 1787 by Buckner Harris, D.S. The survey was certified by D. Creswell, C.S. The is bounded on the east by the heirs of John Thompson, on the north by John Leftwich, on the west by James Hammett and on the south by Gholson. On March 9, 1788, Jeffery Earley and his wife Sarah sold 25 acres on Kettle Creek to John Gholson. (Wilkes County Deed Book EE, page 120.)

 

Evans, William (#1)  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for William Evans is found in Plat Book H, page 40. The warrant for the survey was issued August 10, 1784 by Zachariah Lamar, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 7, 1784 by William Fletcher, D.S. The plat is bounded on the east by John Bohannon, on the northeast and north by William Shropshire, on the northwest by John Nelson, on the southwest by Zachariah Glass, and on the south by vacant. The plat is bisected by a branch of Kettle Creek. On April 16, 1785, William Evans and his wife Tabitha sold 200 acres on Kettle Creek to John Ray. (“Early Records of Georgia,” by Grace Davidson, Volume 1, p. 237.)

 

Evans, William (#2)  - The 100 acre plat surveyed for William Evans is found in Plat Book H, page 40. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 20, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 25, 1784 by William Fletcher, D.S. and Samuel Creswell, C.S. The plat is bounded on the east by William Pollard, on the northwest by William Pollard, and on the southwest and south by Zachariah Glass. Apparently this land was sold to John Ray in 1786. On September 1, 1786, John Ray and his wife Mary sold 260 acres on Kettle Creek to Walton Harris. This was described as two adjoining tracts purchased from William Evans in 1785 and 1786. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 163.)


Few, Benjamin - The 750 acre plat surveyed for Benjamin Few is found in Plat Book G, page 153. The warrant for the survey, dated February 7, 1785, was issued by a Land Court in Wilkes County, presided over by Absalom Bedell Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on February 9, 1785 by Benjamin Few, A.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The grant was issued to Benjamin Few on April 8, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and registered on April 20, 1785. (Grant Book GGG, page 391) The prominent feature on this survey is the confluence of Hardin’s Creek and Little River. This is a large piece of land, situated along the south bank of Hardin’s Creek and the west bank of Little River. It shows the following neighbors: Andrew Wilson along the western lines and Digby and Mendengall along the southern lines. Benjamin Few and his wife Rachel, sold 312 ½ acres of this 750 acre land grant to Robert Christmas. (Wilkes County Deed Book MM, page 164)

Few, Ignatius - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Ignatius Few is found in Plat Book A, page 66. The warrant for the survey, dated September 5, 1783, was issued by a Land Court in Wilkes County, presided over by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on January 13, 1784 by Ignatius Few, D.S. The grant was issued to Ignatius Few on February 6, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on February 9, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 58) The plat of Ignatius Few is crisscrossed by Hardin’s Creek and an unnamed road. The neighbors are depicted as Noradike on the west, John Mulkey on the north, Benjamin Few on the east and Wilson on the south. Silas Mercer’s survey shows Ignatius Few as a neighbor on the south and John Mulkey’s survey shows Few on the south. On December 10, 1793, Jesse Mercer sold 200 acres on Hardin’s Creek to David Russell. The deed notes that this land had been previously granted to Ignatius Few on February 6, 1784. (See Wilkes County Deed Book NN, page 46.) However, the 200 acres depicted on the survey for Ignatius Few seem to have also been surveyed for the heirs of John Thornton. (See Heirs of John Thornton.)

 

Finley, Samuel (#1) - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Samuel Finley is found in Plat Book B, page 22. The warrant for the survey was issued August 10, 1784 by Zachariah Lamar, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on August 30, 1784 by James Finley, D.S. The plat is surrounded on all sides by lands unknown and or vacant. A branch of Little River flows out of the lot on the west.

 

Finley, Samuel (#2)  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Samuel Finley is found Plat Book H, page 331. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 26, 1785 by John King, Senior Justice, presiding at a land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 29, 1785 by James Finley, D.S. It was certified by Samuel Creswell, C.S. This plat envelopes the plat of Samuel Finley (#1). On the south it is bounded by Samuel Finley and William Glass, on the east by vacant, on the north by John Buchanan and Vacant, and on the west by William Fletcher. The north fork of Little Creek flows through the northern section of the lot. On February 15, 1791, Samuel Gardner sold 260 acres on the north fork of Cloud’s Creek to William Allen. The land is further described as being part of 400 acres originally surveyed for James Finley. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 154.) The surveys that surround the two plats of Samuel Finley identify their neighbor as James Finley - not Samuel Finley. And, the plat of Samuel Finley (#2) depicts the North Fork of Little Creek. Little Creek, then, may be the same creek as Cloud’s Creek.


Foster, William - The 550 acre plat surveyed for William Foster is found in Plat Book A, page 26. The warrant for the survey, dated September 4, 1783, was issued by a Land Court in Wilkes County, presided over by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on October 4, 1783 by James McFarland, D.S. The plat for Foster is unique for its size, extending almost two miles due north from the banks of Little River. On the east side the neighbors are shown as John Jones and Edward Blake, on the south it is bounded by Little River, and on the southwest it is bounded by Beaverdam Creek and Absalom Bedell. Beaverdam Creek runs enters Foster’s plat flowing northwest to south east above Bedell only to emerge shortly thereafter flowing due south and forming the western boundary between Bedell and Foster. Bedell would eventually buy the entire southern half of Foster’s plat. Governor John Houstown granted William Foster 550 acres on January 20, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 37) William Foster and his wife Phoebe sold 276 acres on Beaverdam Creek (part of a 550 acre grant to William Foster) to Absalom Bedell on April 9, 1788, (Wilkes County Deed Book DD, page 168)


Gafford, Stephen (#1) - The 100 acre plat surveyed for Stephen Gafford is found in Plat Book G, page 166. The warrant for the survey was issued on a Headright, March 9, 1785, by a Land Court in Wilkes County, presided over by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on March 11, 1785 by Thomas Grant, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. This plat forms a buffer between Edward Black’s 500 acres and Gafford’s 200 acres. A road and two creeks cut across the southern arm of the survey. The neighbors surrounding these 100 acres are: Edward Black on the west, John Pinkston on the north, Daniel Grant on the northeast and Stephen Gafford on the east. Governor Samuel Elbert granted Stephen Gafford 100 acres of land on August 24, 1785. (Grant Book HHH, page 434) Stephen Gafford and his wife Fanny sold 300 acres, including this 100 acre plat, to David Ellington on December 29, 1790. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 201)

Gafford, Stephen (#2) - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Stephen Gafford is found in Plat Book G, page 167. The warrant for this survey was issued on a Headright, August 1, 1785, by a Land Court of Wilkes County, presided over by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on August 11, 1785 by Thomas Grant, D. S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. Two branches flowing northeast to southwest toward Little River cut across the plat. The plat is bordered by Stephen Gafford on the west and north and Daniel Grant on the east and west. Governor Edward Telfair granted Stephen Gafford 200 acres on January 20, 1786. (Grant Book HHH, page 869) Stephen Gafford and his wife Fanny sold 300 acres, including this 200 acre plat, to David Ellington on December 29, 1790. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 201)

 

Gholson, John - The 145 acre plat surveyed for John Gholson is found in Plat Book B, page 279. The warrant for the survey was issued on June 16, 1787 by John King, Senior Justice, presiding over a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 7, 1787 by Buckner Harris, D.S. The plat is bounded by the heirs of John Thompson on the northeast, John Gholson on the northwest and southwest, and Partridge on the southeast. Kettle Creek cuts through the plat on the north.

 

Glass, William  - The 400 acre plat surveyed for Austin Martin is found in Plat Book A, page 296. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 12, 1784 by William Downs, Senior Justice, in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 4, 1784 by James Finley, D. S.  The plat is bordered on the southeast by David and John Ogletree, on the northeast by Leveret and William Pointer, on the northwest by Henry Stuart, on the west by vacant and James Finley, and on the south by vacant. The plat shows Little Creek flowing along its northeast side. 

 

Gresham, George  - The 420 acre plat for George Gresham is found in Plat Book G, page 171. The warrant for the survey was issued on September 10, 1785 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding over a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 11, 1784 by John Nelson, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C.S. The survey is bisected by Rocky Creek.  It is bounded on the north by Webster, on the west by Robert Hammock and Smith, and on the south by surveyed land and John McCormick.


Hagan, Edward - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Edward Hagan is found in Plat Book G, page 177. The warrant for the survey was issued on March 7, 1785 by a Land Court of Wilkes County presided over by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice. The survey had already been executed on December 27, 1783 by James McFarland and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor, by virtue of an old warrant. This old warrant, No. 494, was dated December 24, 1783. The actual grant was issued to Edward Hagan on April 22, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and registered on April 30, 1785. (Grant Book GGG, page 550.) The Hagan plat is notable because the plat shows the confluence of Kettle Creek and Little River. However, the plat as depicted, shows Kettle Creek running almost in a North to South direction for almost ¾ of a mile until it joins Little River. In reality the Creek makes a sharp bend before it reaches Little River. The error may have been enforced by relying on a previous survey as opposed to resurveying the land in question. The neighbors of Edward Hagan were Joel Phillips along the west bank of Kettle Creek and Robert Day on the east. Edward Hagan and his wife Elizabeth sold 200 acres on Little River at the mouth of Kettle Creek to Charles Carroll on February 2, 1786. (Wilkes County Deed Book CC, page 146)

 

Hammett, James -  The 450 acre plat surveyed for James Hammett is found in Plat Book G, page 176.  The warrant for the survey was issued on December 22, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 14, 1784 by James Finley, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The rectangular plat is bounded by Vacant on the east, Unknown on the north, Thomas Brown and Vacant on the west and Vacant on the south. Kettle Creek forms the property line on the southwest and south. A road is shown crossing Kettle Creek and entering the plat from the south. Soon after, the road forks and the eastern fork of the road is thought to have led to Karr’s Fort. This plat was the site of the Battle of Kettle Creek.  Patriot forces coming from Karr’s Fort discovered the British near War Hill, located just south of the fork in the road. A skirmish ensued and the British, once their commanding officer was killed, were driven back to the south, down the road and across Kettle Creek.

 

Hammett, John  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for John Hammett is found in Plat Book B, page 98. The warrant for the survey, dated January 7, 1784, was issued by Absalom Bedell, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 19, 1784 by James Finley, A. Surveyor. The survey is bounded on the east by John Thompson, on the north by James Hammett, on the northwest by William Hammett, on the southwest by Vacant, and on the southeast by Unknown. Kettle Creek loops through the north side of the survey. The Battle of Kettle Creek concluded on this plat as the British fled down the road across Kettle Creek toward Wrightsborough. (See James Hammett.) John Hammett sold 200 acres adjoining William Hammett, James Hammett and John Thompson to Jeffrey Early on October 23, 1785. (Wilkes County Deed Book CC, page 153)

 

Hammett, William - The 200 acre plat surveyed for William Hammett is found in Plat Book B, page 98. The warrant for the survey, dated December 1, 1783, was issued by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 15, 1784 by James Finley, D. Surveyor. The plat is bounded by James Hammett on the northeast, Thomas Brown on the north, Owen Fluker on the northwest, Joseph White on the southwest, and Vacant on the southeast.  Kettle Creek loops through the eastern side of the survey. The Battle of Kettle Creek concluded on this plat as the British fled down the road across Kettle Creek toward Wrightsborough. (See James Hammett.) 

 

Hammock, Benedict - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Benedict Hammock is found in Plat Book G, page 197. The warrant for the survey, dated September 5, 1785, was issued by Absalom Bedell, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 14, 1785 by Peter Smith D. S. and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The plat straddles Rocky Creek and is bounded by Murray on the north and west, John Comb’s on the south, and George Gresham, Abner Webster and Solomon Thornton along the east. Manson’s Mill Seat is indicated as being on Rocky Creek southwest of the property. On July 26, 1790, Robert Hammock acting as executor of Benedict Hammock, sold this 200 acres to the heirs of Benjamin Hendricks for 100 pounds. (Wilkes County Deed Book NN, page 170.)


Jackson, Joseph - The 400 acre plat surveyed for Joseph Jackson is found in Plat Book A, page 93. The warrant for the survey, dated September 5, 1783, was issued by a Land Court of Wilkes County, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice presiding. The survey was executed on September 20, 1783 by William Downs D. S. The grant was issued to Joseph Jackson on December 15, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on December 16, 1784. (Grant Book FFF, page 107) The outstanding feature of the plat is Hardin’s Creek along with its tributaries. Joseph Jackson is bounded on the west by John Querns, on the northeast by vacant, on the east by John Mulkey and John Thornton, and on the south by vacant. Joseph Jackson was the brother of Deborah Jackson (the wife of Robert McGinty). In 1786, this land was transferred to Robert and Deborah McGinty, although no deed exists for the transaction.

Jones, Hugh (#1) - The 125 acre plat surveyed for Hugh Jones is found in Plat Book B, page 130. The warrant for the survey, dated October 10, 1784, was issued in a land court of Wilkes County presided over by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. (In lieu of an old warrant.) The survey was executed on October 15, 1784 by William Downs D. S. The grant was issued to Hugh Jones on December 15, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on December 16, 1784. (Grant Book FFF, page 115) This plat adjoins, on the west, the large 950 acre plat of Joel Phillips. The Phillips Mill Baptist Church was located (on Joel Phillips property) somewhere near this boundary line between Phillips and Jones. The neighbors of Hugh Jones were: Joel Phillips and Little River on the north, John Lang on the east, John Lang on the east, George Lea and Benjamin Hubbard on the south, and the heirs of John Thompson and Joel Phillips on the west.

 Jones, Hugh (#2) - The 64 acre plat surveyed for Hugh Jones is found in Plat Book G, page 205. The warrant for the survey, dated April 4, 1785, was issued in a land court of Wilkes County presided over by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. (In lieu of an old warrant.) The survey was executed on April 6, 1785 by Peter Clyma D. S. and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The grant was given to Hugh Jones on March 31, 1786 by Governor Edward Telfair and it was registered on April 6, 1786. (Grant Book III, page 726) This small piece of land fits into the larger 125 acre plat of Hugh Jones. In fact it shows Jones as a neighbor on three sides. Little River is shown on the north side of the lot. Jones Spring Branch forms the eastern boundary.

Jones, John - The 450 acre plat survey for John Jones is found in Plat Book G, page 206. The warrant for the survey was issued on October 8, 1783 in a Wilkes County land court, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice presiding. The land had been previously warranted, Old warrant No. 575. The survey was executed on October 21, 1783 by James McFarland, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The survey is bounded on the west by Phillips and on the east by Benjamin Thompson. Thompson’s land was to be granted to John Wingfield. Governor Lyman Hall granted 400 acres to John Jones on January 2, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 13) John Jones and his wife Molly sold 450 acres on Beaverdam Creek to John Wingfield on January 9, 1784. (Wilkes County Oldest Deed Book, page 80)

 

Karr, Henry - The 155 acre plat of Henry Karr is found in Plat Book K, page 294. The warrant for the survey was issued on August 2, 1785 in Wilkes County by Absalom Bedell, Senior Justice. The survey was executed on September 1, 1785 by Peter Clyma D. S. and D. Creswell C. S. The grant was issued to Henry Karr on April 26, 1787 by Governor George Matthews and registered on April 30, 1787. (Grant Book NNN, page 221) This plat is unique in its corn cob pipe shape with just the tip of the pipe touching Little River. As such, it forms a buffer between McGinty and Lang on the east and Whatley and Lang on the south. The neighbors of Henry Karr were: Robert McGinty and John Querns on the east, Samuel Whatley and George Lea on the south, Jones on the west, and Henry Kaar on the north. This 155 acre parcel  was included in the land transaction where Henry Karr and his wife Ann sold 380 acres on Jones Spring Branch to Archibald Simpson. (Wilkes County Deed Book FF, page 38) The other 225 acres included in this 380 acre deed had purchased by Karr from John Lang on June 6, 1785. See John Lang.


Kelly, James - The 217 acre plat surveyed for James Kelly is found in Plat Book Q, page 164. (This is another example of the plat recorder making an error. This grant to James Kelly was actually made to William Kelly and was only for 100 acres.) The warrant for the survey was issued in Wilkes County on September 3, 1787. The survey was executed on September 5, 1787 by John Nelson, D.S., and D. Creswell, C. S. The survey is bounded on the south by Robert Day, on the west by Edward Hagan and Matthew Martin, on the north by John Nelson and on the east by Nathaniel Day. William Kelly and his wife Hannah sold 100 acres to Charles Carrell on June 16, 1789. This land is described as surrounded by said Carrell, Mathew Martin, John Nelson and Nathaniel Day. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 105)

 

Kelly, John - The 200 acre plat surveyed for John Kelly is found in Plat Book A, page 250. The warrant for the survey was issued on March 10, 1784 by Zachariah Lamar, senior Justice, in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 14, 1784 by James McFarland, D.S. The plat is bounded on the northeast by Stringfellow, on the northwest by John Jackson and William Barnett, on the west by vacant, on the southwest by William Batler, and on the southeast by Webster. Upton’s Creek cuts across the northeast side of the survey. John Kelly and his wife Elizabeth sold these 200 acres to William Ash on January 2, 1786. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 38)

 

Lang, John - The 300 acre plat surveyed for John Lang is found in Plat Book A, page 97. The warrant for the survey was issued in a land court of Wilkes County by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice, dated April 19, 1784. The survey was executed on May 13, 1784 by the same William Downs D.S. The grant was issued to John Lang on January 15, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and it was registered on January 19, 1785. (Grant Book FFF, page 432) The Lang plat occupies lands shown as belonging to Karr on the 155 acre plat of Karr. It runs for almost a mile along the south bank of Little River. Joel Phillips shows as a neighbor on both the west and northwest sides of the survey. On June 6, 1785, John Lang sold 225 acres to Henry Karr (Oldest Deed Book, page 54) and 100 acres to Hugh Jones (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 23)


Lea, George (#1) - The 200 acre plat surveyed for George Lea is found in Plat Book G, page 221. The warrant for the survey, dated April 4, 1785, was issued in Wilkes County by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on April 19, 1785 by William Fletcher D.S. and Sam Creswell, C. Surveyor. The grant was issued to George Lea on October 12, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and it was registered on October 12, 1785. (Grant Book III, page 86) This land had been previously warranted, Old Warrant No. 616. George Lea organized the first Phillips Mill Baptist Church on this particular piece of property. The neighbors surrounding George Lea are: Benjamin Hubbard on the west, Hugh Jones and John Lang on the north, and Samuel Whatley on the east. Hubbard’s land would be surveyed for George Lea a year later. George Lea and his wife Lucy sold 200 acres to John Lindsey on Little River near Phillips Mill on December 31, 1790. This land as also described as being granted to Lea on October 12, 1785. (Wilkes County Deed Book II, page 466)

Lea, George (#2) - The 180 acre plat surveyed for George Lea is found in Plat Book H, page 286. The warrant for the survey, dated May 8, 1786, was issued in Wilkes County by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. This new warrant replaced an older warrant dated August 10, 1785. The survey was actually executed on August 11, 1785 by William Fletcher, D.S., and Sam Creswell, C. Surveyor. The grant was issued to George Lea on January 12, 1787 by Governor George Matthews and it was registered on January 19, 1787. (Grant Book LLL, page 343) The plat is notable because it joins with another plat of George Lea. It also shows the headwaters of Mercer Creek. Neighbors surrounding Lea are: John Thornton on the west, Hugh Jones and George Lea on the north, Whatley on the east and Jesse Talbot on the south. This land may be the same land that the widow Lucy Whatley sold to Elijah Smith on December 12, 1794. That land was described as being south of John Querns’ Creek and adjoining John Querns on the east, William Littleton on the south, and Talbot on the west, the 200 acres granted to George Lea on January 12, 1788.  This land had been sold by deed from George Lea to Lucy Whatley. (Wilkes County Deed Book OO, page 90)

 

John Leftwich  - The 127 acre plat surveyed for John Leftwich is found in Plat Book Q, page 171. The warrant for the survey was dated August 9, 1788 and the survey was executed on July 7, 1789 by William Fletcher. The survey was certified by D. Creswell, C. S. The plat is bounded by Nelson on the east, Shropshire and Hindley the northeast, and widow Hinson on the south. John Leftwich and his wife Sitha sold 127 acres to Charles Tuggle on July 30, 1790. (Wilkes County Deed Book HH, page 170.)

 

Macklin, William - The 80 acre plat surveyed for William Macklin is found in Plat Book Q, page 291. The warrant for the survey was dated August 6, 1787 and the survey was executed on August 7, 1787 by John McFarland. The survey was certified by D. Creswell, C. S. It is bounded on the east by Little River, along the northeast by Richard Napp and John McCarty, and along the north and south by James McFarland. The survey is notable because it shows Long Branch flowing into Little River.

 

Martin, Austin - The 300 acre plat surveyed for Austin Martin is found in Plat Book A, page 50. The warrant for the survey was issued on August 8, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 9, 1783 by James McFarland, D. S. The survey is bounded on the northeast by Gideon Anderson, on the northwest by Ganaway Martin, on the southwest by vacant, and on the southeast by John Kelly.

 

Martin, Ganaway (#1) - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Ganaway Martin is found in Plat Book A, page 51. The warrant for the survey was issued on August 8, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice,  in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 25, 1783 by James McFarland, D.S. The plat is bounded on the northeast by Gideon Anderson, on the northwest by Abner Webster, on the southwest by vacant, on the south by Ornan Whatley, and on the southeast by Austin Martin. A daughter of Ganaway Martin married Abner Webster.

 

Martin, Ganaway (#2) - The 380 acre plat surveyed for Ganaway Martin is found in Plat Book H, page 109. The warrant for the survey was issued on February 6, 1786 by William Downs, Senior Justice, who was presiding over a Land Court in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on February 14, 1786 by Benjamin catching, A. S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The plat is bounded on the north by vacant land and Martin, on the west by Mary Whatley, on the south by McCarty and on the east by vacant. In addition, Rocky Creek forms part of the boundary along the southwest corner of the plat. An interesting feature of this survey is the indication of Fish Dam Road which cuts across the eastern side of the plat.

 

McCarty, John - The 404 acre plat surveyed for John McCarty is found in Plat Book Q, page 199. The warrant for the survey was issued on October 11, 1785 and the survey was executed on October 15, 1785 by Benjamin Catching, D.S. The survey was certified by D. Creswell, C. S. The plat is bisected by Rocky Creek and is bounded on the north by Ganaway Martin, on the west by surveyed land, on the south by McFarland and Douglas Watson and on the east by McFarland. On June 15, 1790, John McCarty and his wife Susannah sold 100 acres of this property to Sherrod Stroud. (Wilkes County Deed Book HH, page 363.) The balance of this property was sold to John A. McGinty in 1813.

 

McFarland, James (#1)  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for James McFarland is found in Plat Book A, page 49. The warrant for the survey was issued on November 3, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on November 7, 1783 by James McFarland, D. S. The survey is bounded on the northeast by James McFarland, on the northwest by vacant , on the southwest by Rocky Creek and on the southeast by Little River. The survey depicts Rocky Creek as it flows into Little River.

 

McFarland, James (#2) - This 200 acre plat surveyed for James McFarland is found in Plat Book A, page 53. The warrant for the survey was issued on September 4, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 4, 1783 by James McFarland, D. S. The survey is bounded by Little River on the east, vacant on the north, James McFarland on the west, Little River on the south and James McFarland on the southeast. This is part of Little River has dramatic switch backs.

 

McFarland, James (#3) - This 100 acre surveyed for James McFarland is found in Plat Book A, page 49. The warrant for the survey was issued on September 4, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 10, 1783 by James McFarland, D. S.  The survey describes this property as a peninsula extending south from James McFarland (#2) with the other three sides of the property bounded by Little River.

 

McGinty, Robert Sr. - The 300 acre plat surveyed for Robert McGinty is found in Plat Book G, page 248. The warrant for the survey, dated June 6, 1785, was issued by a Land Court in Wilkes County, presided over by Absalom Bedell Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on June 10, 1785 by William Downs, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, Chief Surveyor. Curiously, this land was once surveyed under an “old” warrant, No. 692. The grant was given to Robert McGinty on October 12, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and it was registered on October 14, 1785. (Grant Book III, page 90) Robert’s land is bordered by Little River on the north and Absalom Bedell on the east. Absalom Bedell was married to Ruth Jackson. She was the aunt of Deborah Jackson, the wife of Robert McGinty. John Querns and John Lang form the neighbors on the west. The southern boundary, where Thomas Wingfield and Silas Mercer will appear on the mosaic, is not labeled. There are two interesting features to this plat. One is the southeastern corner formed by a pine, shrub oak, and a pine. These same markers appear on the plat of Thomas Wingfield and help to tie the tow plats together. The second is the northwestern corner where the property line is shown moving South at a 45 degree angle away from Little River. The Wilkes County/Taliaferro County line runs in this same direction as it crosses Little River. I think the western edge of Robert McGinty is in fact the Wilkes County Line of today. Robert McGinty and his wife Deborah sold 300 acres to Edward Butler on the south side of Little River whereon said McGinty now lives on November 24, 1786. (Wilkes County Deed Book CC, page 27)

 

Mercer, Jacob - The 50 acre plat surveyed for Jacob Mercer  is found in Plat Book D, page 255. The warrant for the survey was issued on October 5, 1801 by Edward Grantham, James Willis and A. Bailey. The survey was executed on January 12, 1802 by Samuel Wingfield, D.S. This small and jagged plat is bounded on the southeast by Andrew Wilson; along the northeast by Jacob Mercer, Silas Mercer and John Querns; on the northwest by Samuel Whatley and on the southwest by John Mulkey.  The plat is unusual in that it appears to tie two vacant areas together - one on the north of Silas Mercer’s 500 acres and the other on the south side of Silas Mercer’s 500 acres. Connecting these two separate parcels of land is a thin corridor of land following Mercer Creek. Curiously, this corridor around Mercer Creek appears to have been included in the original survey for Silas Mercer. Thus, it appears that land formerly surveyed and granted to Silas Mercer has been resurveyed and regranted to Jacob Mercer.


Mercer, Silas - The 500 acre plat surveyed for Silas Mercer is found in Plat Book A, page 29. The warrant for the survey, dated April 25, 1784, was issued by a Land Court of Wilkes County, presided over by Stephen Head Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on May 30, 1784 by Sanders Walker D.S. The grant was issued to Silas Mercer on July 15, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on July 16, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 159) Aside from the size of the plat, the most striking feature is the depiction of a branch of Hardin’s Creek that cuts through the middle of the plat. Other plats identify this branch as Mercer Creek. (See Andrew Wilson and Buckner Duke.) The neighbors appearing around the survey are John Querns in the northwest, Sanders Walker in the east, and Andrew Wilson, John Mulkey and Ignatius Few along the south. Silas Mercer served as Minister of the Gospel at Phillips Mill Baptist Church and was the father of Jesse Mercer. Silas Mercer sold 250 acres on Hardin’s Creek to the heirs of John Mulkey on December 6, 1785. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 12)


Mulkey, Heirs of John - The 100 acre plat surveyed for the heirs of John Mulkey is found in Plat Book Q, page 192. A warrant was issued for the survey in Wilkes County on December 3, 1787. The survey was executed on December 6, 1787 by Sanders Walker, A.S. and certified by D. Creswell, C.S. The grant was issued to the heirs of John Mulkey on August 8, 1792 by Governor Edward Telfair and registered on August 9, 1792. (Grant Book XXX, page 46.) The plat is fairly non descript, however it does confirm the branch of Hardin’s Creek that is so prominent on the plat of Silas Mercer. Mulkey is surrounded by Silas Mercer on the west and north, Andrew Wilson on the east, and Few on the south.

Nelson, John (#1) - The 75 acre plat surveyed for John Nelson is found in State Plat Book H, page 414. The warrant for the survey, dated March 9, 1785, was issued by a land court in Wilkes County presided over by Absalom Bedell Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on March 12, 1785 by William Fletcher D. S. and Sam Creswell, C. Surveyor. This was a head right, No. 803. The survey appears to form a buffer between Robert Day and Little River. The survey of John Nelson is bordered on the south by Little River, on the west by the land of Robert Day, and on the east by the land of Nathaniel Day. Governor George Matthews issued a grant to John Nelson for 73 acres on January 3, 1788. (Grant Book PPP, page 132)

 

Nelson, John (#2)  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for John Nelson is found in Plat Book Q, page 267. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 24, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 8, 1784 by James Finley, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C.S. The plat is described as being on the waters of Kettle Creek. It is bordered by William Evans on the east,  Vacant on the north and west, and John Thompson and Fulton on the south. John Nelson and his wife Elinor sold 199 acres to Robert Morrow on August 25, 1788. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 2)   

 

Ogletree, David  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for David Ogletree is found in Plat Book B, page 201. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 12, 1784 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 22, 1784 by William Fletcher, D.S. The rectangular plat is bounded on the northeast by John Ogletree, on the northwest by vacant, on the southwest by vacant and on the southeast by Little River.

 

Ogletree, John (#1) - The 72 acre plat surveyed for John Ogletree is found in Plat Book G, page 271. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 12, 1784 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 21, 1784 by William Fletcher, D.S. The plat is bounded on the east by Phillips, on the north by Little River, on the west by Cook, and on the south by Thornton.  

 

Ogletree, John (#2) - The 128 acre plat surveyed for John Ogletree is found in Plat Book B, page 201. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 12, 1784 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 21, 1784 by William Fletcher, D.S. The rectangular plat is bounded on the northeast by David Ogletree and Joel Phillips; on the northwest by William Glass; on the southwest by David Ogletree and on the southeast by Little River. A small branch flows through the plat to Little River.

 

Ogletree, John (#3) - The 109 acre plat surveyed for John Ogletree is found in Plat Book B, page 186. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 20, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 23, 1784 by James Finley. The plat is bounded on the northeast by Little Creek, on the northwest by William Glass, on the southwest by John Ogletree and on the southeast by Joseph Phillips. The warrant was issued in lieu of part of an old warrant.  

 

Partridge, Jesse - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Jesse Partridge is found in Plat Book H, page 145. The warrant for the survey was issued on August 1, 1785 by Absalom Bedell, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes county. The survey was executed by James Finley, A.S., and Samuel Creswell, C.S. The survey shows John Robinett on the east, Thompson on the north, and vacant on the west and south. A branch that feeds into Kettle Creek is depicted on the survey.  Jesse Partridge and his wife Sarah sold 200 acres on the waters of Kettle Creek to John Gholson on March 13, 1790. (Wilkes County Deed Book HH, page 51)

 

Patterson, James - The 83 acre plat surveyed for James Patterson is found in Plat Book Q, page 218. A warrant was issued for the survey in Wilkes County on December 12, 1787. The survey was executed on August 15, 1788 by Samuel Harper D.S. and certified by D. Creswell. The grant was issued to James Patterson on March 2, 1791 by Governor Edward Telfair and it was registered on March 5, 1791 (Grant Book UUU, page 379). Along two sides, the northwest and southwest, the plat shows Robert McGinty as a neighbor. On the east is Andrew Wilson and on the southeast is Amos Stewart. The Patterson plat is exciting because it identifies Robert McGinty as living in the area granted to Joseph Jackson in December of 1787. Joseph Jackson was the brother in law of Robert McGinty.

 

Phillips Mill Church -  Phillips Mill Baptist Church was organized on June 10, 1785 at the home of George Lea. Almost a year later, the members decided to erect a church building. The two acre parcel of land deeded for the original building site of Phillips Mill Church is found in Wilkes County Deed Book SS, page 54. On August 13, 1786, Joel Phillips gave two acres to the “members of the church constituted on Little River near said Phillips . . . in the presence of Silas Mercer, Minister of the Gospel . .  in the regard I bear to that Society.”  Many of the surrounding plat owners attended this church at one time or another, including the families of Nathaniel Bullock, Edward Butler, Robert Day, John Edwards, William Evans, Owen Fluker, Zachariah Glass, James Hammett, George Lea, Robert McGinty, Silas Mercer, William Pollard and Thomas Wingfield, among others.

Phillips, Joel (#1) - The large 950 acre plat surveyed for Joel Phillips is found in Plat Book G, page 288. The warrant for the survey, dated April 20, 1783, was issued by a Land Court of Wilkes County presided over by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on April 10, 1784 by William Downs D.S. and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The land had been warranted previously on Old Warrant No. 809. The grant was issued to Joel Phillips on December 9, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on December 14, 1784. (Grant Book FFF, page 90) This is the plat that contained the first building of Phillip’s Mill Baptist Church. The runs from the confluence of Kettle Creek and Little River, and along Little River for over a mile and half to the west. The following neighbors are shown around Joel Phillips: Edward Hagan is on the east, John Lang and vacant are on the south, Reuben Phillips and vacant are on the west, and Peter Strozier and John Conner are on the north. Joel Phillips and his wife Elizabeth sold 175 acres on Little River to Alexander Norris on September 26, 1788. (Wilkes County Deed Book FF, page 57)


Phillips, Joel (#2) - The small triangular plat of 30 acres that was surveyed for Joel Phillips is found in Plat Book Q, page 220. The warrant for the survey was dated December 1, 1788 and it was surveyed on May 7, 1789 by Thomas Scot Lindsay, D. S. It was certified by D. Creswell, C. S. The plat is fairly nondescript as it fills in a piece of Joel Phillips’ larger 950 acre plat. As such, it is surrounded by Joel Phillips on the north and south, but it does show Spenser as a neighbor to the west.

 

Phillips, William - The 200 acre plat surveyed for William Phillips is found in Plat Book G, page 285.  The warrant for the survey was issued on April 21, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on July 12, 1784 by William Downs, D. S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The rectangular plat is bordered on three sides by vacant with Little River forming the boundary line on the southeast side. The survey shows Little Creek flowing into the Little River within the eastern portion of the plat. William Phillips sold 200 acres to Joseph Phillips on December 4, 1787. (Wilkes County Deed Book EE, page 99)

 

Phillips, Zachariah - The 500 acre plat surveyed for Zachariah Phillips is found in Plat Book A, page 88.  The warrant for the survey was issued on November 10, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 10, 1783 by William Downs, D.S. This large rectangular plat is bounded on the northeast by Vacant, on the northwest by Henry Karr, on the southwest by Zachariah Welsh and on the southeast by Vacant. Powder Creek is shown flowing toward Little river in the eastern side of the plat.  Zachariah Phillips sold 500 acres “partly on Little River” to Charles Dean on May 28, 1785. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 77)


Pinkston, John - The 400 acre plat surveyed for John Pinkston is found in State Plat Book A, page 88. The warrant for the survey, dated October 8, 1783, was issued in a land court of Wilkes County presided over by Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on October 23, 1783 by James McFarland D. S. The survey is bounded by Edward Black and Davis on the south, John Cane and William Waggoner on the east, and Benjamin Thompson on the west. The grant for 400 acres was issued by Governor John Houstown on February 6, 1784. (Grant Book DDD - 55)

 

Pollard, William (#1)  - The 294 acre plat surveyed for William Pollard is found in Plat Book G, page 290. The warrant for the survey was issued December 20, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 25, 1784 by William Fletcher D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C.S. The plat shows William Pollard on the east, William Evans on the northeast and north, vacant on the west, and vacant on the south. Kettle Creek forms part of the southern boundary line. A small creek, known as Brushy Branch on William Evans plat, flows into Kettle Creek on the east side of the property. William Pollard and his wife Alecy sold 294 acres on Kettle Creek to Harwood Gibbs on March 10, 1787. (Wilkes County Deed Book DD, page 88)

 

Pollard, William (#2) - The 350 acre plat surveyed for William Pollard is found in Plat Book G, page 284. The warrant for the survey was issued February 7, 1785 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on February 10, 1785 by James Finley, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C.S. The survey is bordered by Bullock and Hurley on the east, William Pollard on the north, Glass on the west, and Nathaniel Bullock on the south. The plat shows the fork of Kettle Creek and Little Kettle Creek. William Pollard and his wife Alecy sold 350 acres on both sides of Little and Big Kettle Creek to Nathaniel Bullock on July 31, 1788. (Wilkes County Deed Book FF, page 1)

 

Pollard, William (#3) - The 106 acre plat surveyed for William Pollard is found in Plat Book Q, page 219. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 17, 1788. The survey was executed on July 21, 1788 by William Fletcher and certified by D. Creswell, C.S. The plat is bounded on the east by William Pollard, on the north by Kettle Creek, on the west by Captain Richardson, and on the south by Nathaniel Bullock.

Querns, John (#1) - The 100 acre plat surveyed for John Querns is found in Plat Book A, page 87. The warrant for the survey, dated November 3, 1783, was issued in a land court of Wilkes County presided over by Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on December 3, 1783 by William Downs D.S. The grant was given to John Querns on February 13, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on February 16, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 91) The survey is non descript, the plat being surrounded by vacant lands. In addition, the survey is drawn as a square while the dimensions recorded (35 X 20) would indicate that it was more like a rectangle. This piece of land ties the plats of Silas Mercer, Robert McGinty, and Henry Karr together.

Querns, John (#2) - The 500 acre plat surveyed for John Querns is found in Plat Book a, page 87. The warrant for the survey, dated November 3, 1783, was issued by the Land Court of Wilkes County, presided over by Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on December 20, 1783 by William Downs D.S. The grant was given to John Querns on February 13, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on February 16, 1784. (Grant Book DDD, page 92) The plat is notable not only for its size but also because it shows Hardin’s Creek entering on the southeast near Emy Stewart flowing almost due north. The stream, however, appears to take a 90 degree turn before exiting the plat and entering Jackson - where it is shown flowing almost due east. This large section of land lists only two neighbors, Joseph Jackson on the east and Emy Stewart on the south.

 

Querns, John (#3) - The 200 acre plat surveyed for John Querns is found in Plat Book A, page 88. The warrant for the survey was issued on November 3, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 4, 1783 by William Downs, D.S. The plat is surrounded on all sides by Vacant. A branch of Powder Creek flows through the plat in the western side of the survey. John Querns sold 200 acres on Powder Creek to Francis Billingsley in December of 1790. (Wilkes County Deed Book PP, page 98)

 

Querns, John (#4) - This 400 acre plat surveyed for John Querns is found in Plat Book A, page 74. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 4, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on January 3, 1784 by James McFarland, D.S. The survey is bounded on the northeast by vacant, on the northwest by Joseph Williams, on the southwest by James McFarland, and on the southeast by Little River and James McFarland.

William Stith would actually be granted the land on the southwest attributed to James McFarland. This plat shows Upton’s Creek as it enters Little River.

 

Roan, Tunstall - The 100 acre plat surveyed for Tunstall Roan is found in Plat Book G, page 299. The warrant for the survey was issued on May 6, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on June 20, 1784 by Sanders Walker, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The plat is bounded on the east by Henry Coats and Martin Deadwiler; on the north by Williamson; on the west by Walker and Michael Cope; and on the southwest by Nathaniel Coats. A branch of Rocky Creek cuts across the north of the plat.

 

Robinett, John - The 500 acre plat surveyed for John Robinett is found in Plat Book G, page 300. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 10, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 20, 1784 by William Fletcher, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The survey is bounded by Samuel Duncan on the east, William Pollard on the north, vacant on the west, Stark on the southwest, and William Pointer and Bates on the south. A creek cutting through the plat is labeled “Bates Branch”.

Scarlett, James (#1) - James Scarlett is unique in that he is shown in the plat books with two surveys for the same land. The first survey is a 300 acre plat found in Plat Book A, page 19. It was surveyed by virtue of a warrant issued by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice, dated August 12, 1783. The survey was executed on September 26, 1783 by the same William Downs, D. L. Surveyor. The survey is marked by a stream that cuts diagonally across the plat from Little river in the southwest corner to a buckeye tree in the northeast corner. Dated in 1783, it contains earlier information than the second survey. Little River running at this point almost due south and William Foster are shown as forming the western boundary, Edward Black (not Blake as William Foster’s plat shows) forms the northern boundary, Lancaster, Vacant and Hunt form the eastern boundary.

Scarlett, James (#2) - The second survey for James Scarlet is much larger and incorporates the earlier survey of 300 acres into its 750 acres. It is found in Plat Book B, page 159. It was surveyed by a warrant issued by the Land Court of Wilkes County on October 10, 1784, presided over by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. The warrant was executed on October 19, 1784 by Robert Christmas D.S., “in lieu of old warrants.” The grant of 750 acres was issued to James Scarlet on January 19, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and it was registered on January 20, 1785. (Grant Book FFF, page 439) As before it shows Little River and William Foster along the western boundary, Edward Black and now James Davis along the northern boundary, Ambrose Crawford along the eastern side, and James Crawford and Hunt’s land along the south.

 

Smith, Peter  - The 300 acre plat surveyed for Peter Smith is found in Plat Book G, page 333. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 20, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 29, 1784 by Sanders Walker, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C.S. The plat is bounded on the east by Sanders Walker; on the north by George Bagby; on the west by Jonathan Joyner and Hopkins; and on the south by vacant. To the south the property line is defined by a branch of Beaverdam Creek.

 

Spowsor, Pricilla - The 65 acre plat surveyed for Pricilla Spowsor is found in Plat Book Q, page 239. The warrant for the survey was issued on November 20, 1787 (The plat lists this date as 1788) and the survey was executed on May 7, 1788 by Thomas Scott Lindsey. The survey was certified by D. Creswell, D.S. The plat is bounded on the southeast by William Phillips, on the northeast by Vacant, on the northwest by John Leveret, and on the southwest by Ogletree. Little Creek forms the southwestern line between Ogletree and Spowsor.

 

Stith, William - The 300 acre plat surveyed for William Stith is found in Plat Book G, page 254. The warrant for the survey was dated January 3, 1787 and the survey was executed on January 4, 1787 by Robert Jackson, D.S. the survey was certified by D. Creswell. The survey is bounded on the northeast by John Querns, on the northwest by Gideon Anderson, on the southeast by Ganaway Martin, and on the south by James McFarland. Little River touches the survey at the southeast corner of the lot where Upton’s Creek is shown flowing into Little River in the adjoining lot of John Querns. In 1785, William Stith was Chief Justice of the first court held in the new courthouse built in Washington, Georgia.

 

Stringfellow, Enoch - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Enoch Stringfellow is found in Plat Book G, page 310. The warrant for the survey was issued on August 10, 1784 by Zachariah Lamar, Senior Justice, presiding in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 14, 1784 by John Nelson D.S. and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The plat is bounded by Anderson on the southeast, Joseph Williams on the northeast, Kelly on the west, and Webster on the southwest. The survey shows Upton’s creek cutting across the property on the northeast. Enoch and his wife Amea sold these 200 acres to Benjamin Thompson on December 29, 1785. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 53)

 

John Thompson, Heirs of - The 300 acre plat surveyed for the heirs of John Thompson is found in Plat Book B, page 135.  The warrant for the survey was issued on December 4, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 16, 1784 by William Downs, D.S. The survey is surrounded by vacant on all sides, and it shows Kettle Creek flowing across the eastern corner.

Thornton, Heirs of John - The 200 acre plat surveyed for the heirs of John Thornton is found in Plat Book CC, page 129. The Wilkes County warrant for the survey was dated December 4, 1783. The survey was executed on January 1, 1784 by William Downs, D.S. and certified by Matthew Talbot, C. S. There is a notation at the bottom of the plat which states: “Adv’d 30th January 1795”. The grant was given to the heirs of John Thornton on July 25, 1798 by Governor James Jackson and it was registered on July 25, 1798. (Grant Book AAAA, page 633) The neighbors of Thornton were listed as: Abraham Norwick on the west, John Mulkey on the north, and Daniel McCoy on the southeast. The survey for Joseph Jackson shows Thornton to the east, and the survey for Andrew Wilson shows Thornton to the west. Yet, this 200 acre survey for John Thornton, dated January 1, 1784, seems to occupy much of the same 200 acres that were surveyed twelve days later for Ignatius Few.

 

Thornton, Samuel - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Samuel Thornton is found in Plat Book G, page 342. The warrant for the survey was issued on May 2, 1785 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County.

The survey was executed on May 9, 1785 by Samuel Thornton, A. S., and Samuel Creswell, C Surveyor. The rectangular plat is bounded on the east by Lee, on the north by Thornton, on the west by Querns, and on the south by Vacant. Samuel Thornton and his wife Elizabeth sold 200 acres on Little River to Samuel Billingsley on March 4, 1787. (Wilkes County Deed Book CC, page 75)

 

Vardeman, William - The 200 acre plat surveyed for William Vardeman is found in Plat Book B, page 259. The warrant for the survey was issued on January 18, 1785 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County.

The survey was executed on January 20, 1785 by James Finley, A.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The plat is bounded on the northeast by Stubblefield, along the north by Vacant and Unknown, on the West by Unknown, on the south by Thomas Brown and James Hammett, and on the southeast by Osten Carter. On the eastern half of the plat, two branches of Kettle Creek cut through the property and on the west, Stoziers Road is indicated.


Walker, Sanders (#1) - The 300 acre plat surveyed for Sanders Walker is found in Plat Book A, page 29. The warrant for the survey, dated November 3, 1783, was issued by the Land Court of Wilkes County, presided over by Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on November 10, 1783 by Sanders Walker, D. L. Surveyor. This plat is notable because it extends the course of Little River from its apex at Bedell and Scarlet down to its confluence with Hardin’s Creek. On the west side of the plat is found the lands of the Reverend Silas Mercer. (Sanders Walker and Silas Mercer are noted as baptizing Jesse Mercer at Phillips Mill Baptist Church.) Along the north side it is vacant. (Wingfield didn’t have this land surveyed until a year later.) Forming the east side of the survey is Little River. Across the river is the land of Henry Hunt. Along the south side, the property is defined by Hardin’s Creek. On the south side of Hardin’s Creek is the land of Benjamin Few.

 

Walker, Sanders (#2) - The 1050 acre plat surveyed for Sanders Walker is found in Plat Book A, page 24. The warrant for the survey was issued on September 5, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 13, 1783 by Sanders Walker, D.S.

This large survey is bounded on the east by Williamson, Washington Town, and George Walton; on the north by Walton and Boran; on the northwest by George Bagby; on the west by Peter Smith; on the south by vacant; and on the southeast by Cope. The survey is noted as “on the Ridge”, and this high ground appears to be the origin for the headwaters of several streams that are shown flowing out of the survey and into respectively: Fishing Creek, Rocky Creek, and Beaverdam Creek. During the Revolutionary War, Sanders Walker donated 100 acres for the establishment of the town of Washington which is adjacent to this property on the east. This high ground, “the Ridge”, was an important factor in the selection of this property for the site of the town which may have initially been a fort. Sanders Walker and his wife Sarah sold 300 acres of this property “on the ridge adjoining the town of Washington,” to Josiah Cole on September 15, 1785. (Wilkes County, oldest Deed Book, page 46) They sold another 475 acres, part of a grant for 1050 acres, to Thomas Stark on May 25, 1786. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 130)

 

Walton, George - The 1150 acre plat surveyed for George Walton is found in Plat Book B, page 269. The warrant for the survey was issued on August 12, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 12, 1783 by Sanders Walker, DS, and Samuel Creswell, CS. The plat is bounded by John Lindsay and Jacob Mercer on the east; Walker on the north; Levy Marshall on the northwest; Ellis Hains and sanders walker on the west; the town of Washington on the southwest; and Micajah Williamson on the southeast. A deed shows this land as “on the ridge” [ See Sanders Walker (#2) and Micajah Williamson (#1).]  Interesting to note: Walton’s plat consists of 1150 acres, while the plat of his neighbor, Sanders Walker (#2), consists of just 1050 acres.  Walker is said to have donated 100 acres for the town of Washington. So, it appears that both Walker and Walton had 1150 acres initially. On August 16, 1786, George Walton sold 1150 acres known as “The Ridge” adjacent to the town of Washington and the lands of Colonel Williamson and John Coleman to Thomas Wingfield Sr., John Grimes and John Wingfield Jr. (Wilkes County Deed Book AA, page 119)

 

Washington, The Old Town  - The plat showing the original 48 lots of Washington Town dates back to 1783. The original town was probably a log stockade. Within the walls, there was a spring providing the defenders with an essential water supply. This spring can be seen in the northwest corner of the town plat.  The fort was erected on high ground for defensive purposes. This high ground is noted as a ridge on the surrounding plats of Sanders Walker (#2), George Walton and Micajah Williamson (#1).  A single road to Augusta left the fort on the east. This road can be seen on the plat of Micajah Williamson.

A short history of Washington follows: “In 1773, the Cherokee and Creek Indians ceded a large tract of land between the Little River and Broad River to Sir James Wright. This was later to become a part of Wilkes County. He immediately, in the same year, started making grants of land to settlers. From this time on, he probably was planning a town on the site of Washington. This may have been the reason that the General Assembly in Augusta, January 23, 1780, ordered a town to be laid out at the place where courts are held when everything was in turmoil. . . The commissioners procured a tract of land 31 ½ acres North and South by 32 ½ chains East and West. This tract contained 102.375 acres which could easily be laid out into 100 lots, three chains square with one street in the middle running East to West sixty five feet wide to act as a fire break and to be named Broad Street. This would leave 50 lots to the North and 50 lots to the south. . . When it came to actually laying out the town the original plan had to be changed to meet the contour of the land, the lots were made 2 ½ chains square and all the streets were one half chain wide or 33 feet, the [town was divided into blocks] surrounded by streets for fire protection and contained 4 lots each making the blocks 5 chains square. . . . The town was laid out into 48 lots and the rest was left for the Common.” (from Homes and Sites of the Residents of Washington, Wilkes County, by Willis C. Lindsey, page 15, courtesy of the Mary Willis Library in Washington, Georgia)

A deed dated November 7, 1786 made between Charles McDonald and the Commissioners and Trustees for the purchase of town Lot #31, states:  “Whereas the said George Matthews, Micajah Williamson, Stephen Heard and Robert Harper, under an Act of Assembly of the  . . State, passed at Augusta the thirty first day of July, One Thousand Seven Hundred & Eighty Three, were appointed Commissioners and Trustees to lay out the land purchased of Mr. Sanders Walker in Wilkes County, aforesaid, into a town by the name of Washington.” (Wilkes County Deed Book DD, page 98)

 

Washington, 1805  - The approved plan of Washington dated May 14, 1805 and recorded on May 17, 1805 shows that the town has expanded to 114 lots. “The 48 lots within the dotted lines are what is called the Old Town. The others were formerly left for Commons but since laid out by an act of assembly into lots and sold.”

Watson, Douglas - The 250 acre plat surveyed for Douglas Watson is found in Plat Book A, page 48. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 22, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on December 29, 1783 by the same Benjamin Catching, D. S. The plat forms a tear drop boundary described by the Little River in the south. On the northeast it is bounded by Rocky Creek which is James McFarland‘s line. All other sides are vacant. The survey shows Rocky Creek as it enters Little River and Long Branch as it approaches William Macklin’s land. Douglas Watson sold these 250 acres to Richard Napier in 1789. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 127) 

Webster, Abner - The 350 acre plat surveyed for Abner Webster is found in Plat book H, page 217. The warrant for the survey was issued on September 26, 1785 by Absalom Bedell, Senior Justice, in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 27, 1785 by Peter Smith, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The plat is bounded on the east by Gideon Anderson; along the north by Enoch Stringfellow, John Kelly, and Solomon Thornton; on the west by Benedict Hammock; on the southwest by George Gresham and on the southeast by Ganaway Martin. The plat is bisected by a branch of Rocky Creek.

 

Whatley, Mary -  The 200 acre plat surveyed for Mary Whatley is found in Plat Book A, page 54. The warrant for the survey was issued on October 9, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, presiding over a Land Court in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on October 15, 1783 by William Downs, D.S. The survey depicts a rectangular layout with  Rocky Creek bisecting the lower (southern) portion of the property. The land is bounded by Ganaway Martin on the north, John McCormick on the west, and vacant on the south and east.


Whatley, James - (Plat Error - Should be Samuel Whatley) - The 300 acre plat surveyed for “James” Whatley is found in Plat Book B, page 282. The warrant for the survey was issued on September 4, 1783 by a land court in Wilkes County presided over by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on July 25, 1784 by William Fletcher D.S. and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The land had previously been warranted with Old Warrant, No. 863. The grant was issued to Samuel Whatley on January 15, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and it was registered on January 18, 1785. (Grant Book FFF, page 403) Either an error by the surveyor, or by the transcriber, has labeled this plat as belonging to James Whatley. (The neighboring survey for Henry Kaar also shows this plat as being occupied by Samuel Whatley.) This plat surrounds the 100 acre survey of Buckner Duke on three sides and depicts Messer Creek (Mercer Creek) as it enters Duke on the west and as it exits Duke on the east. Outside of the Whatley plat, on the land of Buckner Duke, a bridge is noted that leads to the lands of James Mulkey. The neighbors surrounding James Whatley are as follows: on the north is John Lang, on the south is Mulkey and Buckner Duke and on the west is George Lea.

 

Williams, Joseph - The 400 acre plat surveyed for Joseph Williams is found in Plat Book A, page 44. The warrant for the survey was issued on November 10, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, Senior Justice, in a Land Court of Wilkes County. The survey was executed on November 11, 1783 by Benjamin Catching, D.S. The survey is bounded by Thornton on the north, Anderson on the west, vacant on the southwest, John Querns on the south, and Hewett and Thornton on the east.  Upton’s Creek forms the western boundary between Williams and Gideon Anderson. On the survey, a stream feeding into Upton’s Creek from the north is labeled as Richland Creek. Another stream, noted as Martin’s Branch, flows into Upton’s Creek at the southwest corner of the plat. Joseph Williams and his wife Frankey sold these 400 acres to Williamson Bird on January 26, 1785. (Wilkes County Oldest Deed Book, page 87)

 

Williamson, Micajah (#1)  - The 300 acre plat surveyed for Micajah Williamson is found in Plat Book A, page 181. The warrant for the survey was issued on April 5, 1784 by Stephen Heard, Senior Justice, presiding over a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on April 10, 1784 by Micajah Williamson, AS. The plat is bounded by Daniel Coleman on the east, Wingfield on the north and west, and Micajah Williamson on the south. The plat is separated from the town of Washington by a strip of land (See George Walton) just 15 chains wide. And, like its neighboring plats that surround the town of Washington, Williamson’s 300 acres is described as “on the ridge”.  The Washington Road cuts across the plat leading to the town of Washington just to the west. This appears to be the major road leading into Washington Town. This land appears to have been sold by a relative of Micajah Williamson. On June 15, 1789, Charles Williamson and his wife Polly sold 300 acres “on the ridge” to Peter Stubblefield. (Wilkes County Deed Book DD, page 161)

 

Williamson, Micajah (#2) -  The 100 acre plat surveyed for Micajah Williamson is found in Plat Book A, page 155. The warrant for the survey was issued on August 6, 1783 by William Downs, Senior Justice, presiding at a Land Court held in Wilkes County. The survey was executed on September 8, 1783 by Sanders Walker, DS. The plat is bounded on the east by Daniel Coleman, on the north by Micajah Williamson and George Walton, on the west by Sanders Walker, and on the south by Deadwilder. Williamson may have sold 80 acres of this plat to Tunstall Roan on December 25, 1788. This land is described as being above the original grant to Michael Cupp. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 79.)

 

Wilson, Andrew (#1) - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Andrew Wilson is found in Plat Book H, page 435. The warrant for the survey was issued on July 12, 1784 in Wilkes County by William Downs Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on July 28, 1784 by William Downs, D.S., and Samuel Creswell, C. Surveyor. The land had been warranted previously, Old Warrant No. 846. The grant was issued to Andrew Wilson on December 9, 1784 by Governor John Houstown and it was registered on December 14, 1784. (Grant Book FFF, page 94) The most striking feature of this survey is its depiction of the confluence of Hardin’s Creek and Mercer Creek. The neighbors surrounding the plat are shown as Benjamin Few on the south, John Thornton’s old survey on the west, John Mulkey’s old survey and Silas Mercer on the north, and Sanders Walker on the east.

 

Wilson, Andrew (#2) - The 229 acre plat surveyed for Andrew Wilson is found in Plat Book DD, page 406. The warrant for the survey was issued on December 5, 1796. The survey was executed on February 21, 1797 by Matthew Talbot, C. S. The survey of this plat is impressive. Within its boundaries is a road described as running from Phillip’s Mill to Augusta. The neighbors of Wilson are shown as James Patterson on the northwest, Amos Stewart on the southwest, Isaac Stewart and Digby on the south and Benjamin Few on the east.

Wingfield, John - The 450 acre plat surveyed for John Wingfield is found in the County Plat Book A, page 55. The warrant for the survey was issued by a Wilkes County land court on October 10, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice presiding. The survey was executed on October 21, 1783 by James McFarland, D. S. The survey for John Wingfield appears to occupy, in part, lands previously noted for Benjamin Thompson. (See John Jones and Edward Black.) On the west, the survey is bounded by John Jones. On the east, it is bounded by John Pinkston. An unsigned grant to John Wingfield for 450 acres was issued on October 13, 1785. (Grant Book III, page 214) John Wingfield and his wife Frances sold 650 acres to John Wingfield, Jr., on May 24, 1790 - being two grants made to John in 1784 and 1785. (Wilkes County Deed Book GG, page 38)


Wingfield, Thomas  - The 200 acre plat surveyed for Thomas Wingfield is found in Plat Book B, page 196. The warrant for the survey, dated April 21, 1784, was issued by a Land Court in Wilkes County presided over by Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice. The survey was executed on May 5, 1784 by William Downs D.S., in lieu of an old warrant to Henry Kaar. This last phrase is very interesting because on the plat of Absalom Bedell, the area where Thomas Wingfield should be is occupied by Henry Kaar! The grant was issued to Thomas Wingfield on February 21, 1785 by Governor Samuel Elbert and it was registered on February 24, 1785. (Grant Book GGG, page 78) There are several outstanding features to this plat. Although positioned directly south of Robert McGinty, Absalom Bedell, and by association Little River, on the Wingfield plat, Little River is depicted on the east! This reflects a dramatic bend in the river as its flow changes from almost due east to due south. Another feature is the thumb along the north that separates McGinty and Bedell. This thumb is marked with a pine scrub oak and a pine. The same feature appears on the plat of Robert McGinty. At the time of the survey, the neighbors were described as follows: along the north Robert McGinty and Absalom Bedell, along the east Little River, along the south Sanders Walker and Silas Mercer. The west was shown as vacant.

 

Listings By Warrant Date - Name/ Warrant Date/ Senior Justice

1. Joel Phillips (#1) - April 20, 1783, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice* (1784?)
2. Absalom Bedell  - August 12, 1783, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
3. James Scarlett (#1) - August 12, 1783, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
4. William Foster - September 4, 1783, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
5. James Whatley - September 4, 1783, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
6. Ignatius Few - September 5, 1783, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
7. Joseph Jackson - September 5, 1783, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
8. John Jones - October 8, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
9. John Pinkston - October 8, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
10. John Conners - October 9, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
11. John Wingfield - October 10, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
12. Sanders Walker - November 3, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
13. John Querns (#1) - November 3, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
14. John Querns (#2) - November 3, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
15. Edward Black - November 12, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
16. The Heirs of John Thornton - December 4, 1783
17. Robert Day - December 22, 1783, Benjamin Catching Esq., Senior Justice
18. Thomas Wingfield - April 21, 1784, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
19. John Lang - April 19, 1784 William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
20. Silas Mercer - April 25, 1784, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
21. Buckner Dukes - July 12, 1784, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
22. Andrew Wilson (#1) - July 12, 1784, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
23. Hugh Jones (#1)  - October 10, 1784, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
24. James Scarlett (#2) - October 10, 1784, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
25. Benjamin Few - February 7, 1785, Absalom Bedell Esq., Senior Justice
26. Edward Hagan - March 7, 1785, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
27. Stephen Gafford (#1) - March 9, 1785, William Downs Esq., Senior Justice
28. John Nelson - March 12, 1785, Absalom Bedell Esq., Senior Justice
29. Hugh Jones (#2) - April 4, 1785, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
30. George Lea (#1) - April 4, 1785, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
31. Robert McGinty - June 6, 1785, Absalom Bedell Esq., Senior Justice
32. Stephen Gafford (#2) - August 1, 1785, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
33. Henry Kaar - August 2, 1785, Absalom Bedell Esq., Senior Justice
34. George Lea (#2) - May 8, 1786, Stephen Heard Esq., Senior Justice
35. James Kelly - September 3, 1787
36. The Heirs of John Mulkey - December 3, 1787
37. James Patterson - December 12, 1787
38. Joel Phillips (#2) - December 1, 1788
39. Andrew Wilson (#2) - December 5, 1796
40. Nathaniel Day - February 6, 1797


Listing by Survey Date - Name/ Execution Date/Surveyor

1. Absalom Bedell  - August 26, 1783, William Downs D. S.
2. Joseph Jackson - September 20, 1783, William Downs D. S.
3. James Scarlett (#1)  - September 26, 1783, William Downs, D. L. Surveyor
4. William Foster - October 4, 1783, James McFarland D. S.
5. John Jones - October 21, 1783, James McFarland D. S.
6. John Wingfield - October 21, 1783, James McFarland D. S.
7. John Pinkston - October 23, 1783, James McFarland D. S.
8. John Conners - November 10, 1783, James McFarland A. S.
9. Sanders Walker - November 10, 1783, Sanders Walker, D. L. Surveyor
10. John Querns (#1)  - December 3, 1783, William Downs D. S.
11. John Querns (#2)  - December 20, 1783, William Downs D. S.
12. Edward Black - December 26, 1783,* James McFarland D. S.
13. Edward Hagan - December 27, 1783, James McFarland
14. Robert Day - January 1, 1784, William Downs D. S.
15. John Thornton - January 1, 1784, William Downs D. S.
16. Ignatius Few - January 13, 1784, Ignatius Few D. S.
17. Joel Phillips (#1) - April 10, 1784, William Downs D. S.
18. Thomas Wingfield - May 5, 1784, William Downs D. S.
19. John Lang - May 13, 1784, William Downs D. S.
20. Silas Mercer - May 30, 1784, Sanders Walker D. S.
21. Buckner Dukes - July 16, 1784, John Nelson D. S.
22. James Whatley - July 25, 1784, William Fletcher D. S.
23. Andrew Wilson - July 28, 1784, William Downs D. S.
24. Hugh Jones (#1) - October 15, 1784, William Downs D. S.
25. James Scarlett (#2)  - October 19, 1784, Robert Christmas D. S.
26. Benjamin Few - February 9, 1785, Benjamin Few A. S.
27. John Nelson - March 9, 1785, William Fletcher D.S.
28. Hugh Jones (#2) - April 6, 1785, Peter Clyma D. S.
29. George Lea (#1) - April 19, 1785, William Fletcher D. S.
30. Stephen Gafford (#1)  - March 11, 1785, Thomas Grant D. S.
31. Robert McGinty - June 10, 1785, William Downs D. S.
32. Stephen Gafford (#2) - August 11, 1785, Thomas Grant D. S.
33. George Lea (#2) - August 11, 1785, William Fletcher D. S.
34. Henry Kaar - September 1, 1785, Peter Clyma D. S.
35. James Kelly - September 5, 1787, John Nelson D. S.
36. John Mulkey - December 6, 1787, Sanders Walker A. S.
37. Joel Phillips (#2) - May 7, 1789, Thomas Scot Lindsay D. S.
38. Nathaniel Day - February 7, 1797, Matthew Talbot C. S.

*Date changed on Plat.

Little River Land Surveys

Overviews and plats
Overview Jackson to McGinty
Overview - North of Little River
Overview of Harden's Creek

Phil McGinty
July 8, 2007


Back to the Wilkes Co Home Page

 

Thanks to Hidden Ancestors for hosting this site!

County Coordinator:

 

Georgia State Coordinator:
Vivian Price Saffold

Last Updated: 

Copyright © 2007-Present - Christina Palmer-The GAGenWeb Project - All Rights Reserved