MARTIN COUNTY, TEXAS
now-deserted community of Brownlee was on State Highway 137 in central Martin County. In
1908 a townsite was laid out there, and lots were sold in the expectation that a railroad
to be built from Lamesa to Sterling City would pass through the town. A man named Allen
built a grocery store, and when a post office was established, he became postmaster.
Brownlee acquired a second grocery store and a school, which was moved from nearby Sulphur
Valley. The town even made a bid to take the place of Stanton as county seat. But the
planned railroad was never built, the bid failed, and in 1915 the Brownlee school was
consolidated with the Plainview school.
BIBLIOGRAPHY: Martin County Historical Commission, Martin County, Texas
(Dallas: Taylor, 1979)