twenty miles north of Stanton in central Martin County, was named for Griffin and Rhoda
Merrick, two early settlers. Its first school opened in 1925 with Mrs. Arbie Tunnell as
teacher. In 1931 Merrick became an independent school district, but in the 1940s the
school was consolidated with the Flower Grove school. G. Tunnell organized a union Sunday
school in 1927. By the late 1930s the town had the West Noble Bible Tabernacle, a portable
gin, and a small store. The 1984-85 Texas Almanac gives no population figure for Merrick.